Q: Plug And Play ??

Post by Juergen Sau » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

A short question:

Is there any development in progress for Plup'n (mostly-not) Play Cards ?

Or has got anybody Plug'n Play cards running under linux ?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
        Juergen Sauer
--
=*Schneckenpost*SlowMail=+=======*Telefon=====+==*eMails*FastMail==========

28790 Schwanewede/Germany  FAX  +49 4209 5217   CI$: 100013,1564

Q: Plug And Play ??

Post by Aurora Hen » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>A short question:

>Is there any development in progress for Plup'n (mostly-not) Play Cards ?

Yes, I am working on a PnP configuration utility.  I don't know of any
other projects, I just see a lot of people complaining...

Quote:>Or has got anybody Plug'n Play cards running under linux ?

Yes, but it doesn't always work.  That's why I haven't released it yet.

Quote:>Thanks in advance.

>Greetings
>        Juergen Sauer
>--
>=*Schneckenpost*SlowMail=+=======*Telefon=====+==*eMails*FastMail=========
=
>Jrgen Sauer               Tel. +49 4209-3021

Quote:>Neue Str. 11                    +49 172-4254411

Quote:>28790 Schwanewede/Germany  FAX  +49 4209 5217   CI$: 100013,1564

--
But what's a revolution
When the music plays

1. A plug for the Plug-and-Play Howto

I read the first half of the "Plug and Play Howto" and it provides the
information needed to resolve hardware resource conflicts.
Here is the canonical link:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Plug-and-Play-HOWTO.html

One key piece of information that this document provides is to advise
users to use "Plug and Play" mode for ISA cards when available.  Then,
when setting the BIOS for OS type, select non-plug-and-play for Linux.
 This simply means that the motherboard initialization routines will
try to properly allocate resources (before OS boot begins).

This information helped me a lot, when I was having difficulty setting
up a Linux box, using a spare Micronics W6-Li motherboard.  This
board's setup routine ("BIOS setup") does not have a screen where
resources can be reserved for use by non-pnp-isa cards.  The
documentation for this motherboard should probably state the board
works only with ISA cards which can be configured plug-and-play. I
also had to "force" resource re-allocation to totally resolve the
system conflicts.  After resetting, the OS booted with no conflicts,
and Kudzu could see my "new" devices. (Sweet!)

By the way, the board is working great as my first dual processor
system with a shiny, new kernel (2.4.20-pre10) which supports USB 2.0
(NEC chipset on a pci card).  The performance is not bad (2-200MHz
cpu's, 256 MB RAM- makes for a very usable system.)  I wouldn't put
these systems in the trash heap, yet.  But, if you are throwing them
out, I'll take 'em ;-)

--Douglas Mayne

2. NEWBIE KDE Install Question re: libqt.so.1

3. Plug and Play my ass or Plug and Pray

4. tcsh glob negation bug?

5. I plug'n played but couldn't plug again

6. Can't XDMCP to logical unit interface?

7. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

8. Convert RPM to other formats?

9. Yggrasil's Plug and Play won't play.

10. Plug-and-Play Linux (fall 94) and EtherExpress PRO - any words of wisdom?

11. Gravis Ultrasound Plug'n'play

12. plug'n'play, where do I get it?

13. Linux Plug n' Play support?