Should I even *hope* to use this scanner with Linux?

Should I even *hope* to use this scanner with Linux?

Post by Scott Gardn » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:23:30

I'm getting ready to install RH 7.0, and am wondering if I have a
snowball's chance of being able to use my scanner under Linux when I'm
done.
        The scanner is a Pacific Image Electronics Scanace 1230S.  It
came with an ISA 16-bit proprietary SCSI card.  I have the most recent
Windows TWAIN driver, and it works fine under Windows, but the
manufacturer has no Linux support mentioned on its website.
        This isn't a really popular scanner, but will Linux apps be
able to treat it as a generic SCSI scanner?  Will I have to track down
Linux drivers for the proprietary SCSI controller card?  The way I
suspect it will work is that unless I can somehow get RH to recognize
the card and scanner as generic devices, I'm probably SOL.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

Should I even *hope* to use this scanner with Linux?

Post by E J » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:52:31

ARE YOU INSANE!!! :)  Well get sane from the following website.
http://panda.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html
http://www.munton.demon.co.uk/sane/
Your scanner is untested.  Try it and inform them if it works.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:06:18

>    The scanner is a Pacific Image Electronics Scanace 1230S.  It
> came with an ISA 16-bit proprietary SCSI card.  I have the most recent
> Windows TWAIN driver, and it works fine under Windows, but the
> manufacturer has no Linux support mentioned on its website.
>    This isn't a really popular scanner, but will Linux apps be
> able to treat it as a generic SCSI scanner?  Will I have to track down

If it's scsi, almost certainly yes. But you probably have to toss the
proprietary half-scsi card and put the scanner on a real scsi controller.
You can get symbios or ncr -based ones for $20-$30 in the shops.

Quote:> Linux drivers for the proprietary SCSI controller card?  The way I

Peter

1. using lpr to print only even or odd pages, using tar

Is there a filter to pipe lpr through to print only even or odd pages of a
file?

On a different note i grabbed the network admin guide for linux off of their
ftp server. it comes as "nag-1.0.ps.tar.gz"
so i ran gunzip on it first, then tried the following tar commands which didn't work:
 tar xf - <filename>

Why doesn't this work?

Thanks,
Michael

2. Sun 3/60, dual headed, Xkernel problem

3. ocr linux scanner: ocr support for linux scanners?

4. Why does this mouse detect not work?

5. Hoping against hope: RH on a Toshiba 2520 CDS

6. Ver. 1.2.8 boot problems / New User

7. CFD: LINUX SCANNER FAQ (Re: Linux and scanners)

8. Kmail filter against BCC field? and other...

9. Is this even possible using embedded Linux?

10. Problem installing Linux on Compaq Deskpro 575, even if using pcimove

11. Using a TWAIN scanner in Linux

12. Q: Using Scanner under Linux (who does?)

13. Using a scanner with linux?