resources and improving performance

Post by David O. Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

First off, I'm a moderate newbie. I'm copying data from CD's to my new
hard drive. Both the CDROM (40X) and HD are IDE.
The copying process is taking up
 a lot of resources because my mouse keeps 'sticking'.

Any ideas on improving the efficiency of the copy process?

This also has me thinking of ways of tweaking the system to improve
performance in general. Any 'standard' tricks for improving system
operation? Should I add another swap file on the new drive?

TIA,
Dave

resources and improving performance

Post by billybob.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My idea about that is : have you checked the small (but very efficient)
utility called 'hdparm'. It makes it possible to use DMA, and some other
improvements for your HD and CD and should solve your problem. check
'man hdparm' for further help on it, and once you have good params, put
them in your startup scripts.
Be careful with hdparm which can cause a lot of harm if used
incorrectly.

HTH

"David O. Miller" a crit :

Quote: