Need help configuring modem using SuSE

Post by Collene Pear » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:52:27

I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL-119.  I have a new
install of Suse 6.4 on it.  Naturally, it did not recognize
my modem or sound board.  They both appear to be PCI devices.

Output from an lspci command shows a Lucent 56k WinModem (rev01)
at IRQ 9, Memory at f4000000, I/O Ports at 1838 and at 1400.
(what kind of a port addr is 1838, anyway)

I've downloaded the lucent driver and tried to install it.  However,
when I try to install it with 'ltinst", it fails on the
"/sbin/insmod -v -f ltmodem" command, with the error message:
"insmod: ltmodem: no module by that name found"
However, the /dev/ttyS14 device node is there and the ltmodem.o
gets delivered to the correct directory.

The Lucent driver readme says to configure "minicom" after running
the driver install.  However, there is NO "minicom" on the machine.

So, I tried to use the gui modem setup. It checks for the presence of
a modem, etc and gives the following error message:
"neither modem or ISDN device found".

So, now, where do I go from here?   I'm certain the device
node is there and ok.  However, the driver module, the logical
device,  is unknown to the OS.
Any suggestions about how I can get this modem configured.

Post by David Hasset » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:47:20

> I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL-119.  I have a new
> install of Suse 6.4 on it.  Naturally, it did not recognize
> my modem or sound board.  They both appear to be PCI devices.

> Output from an lspci command shows a Lucent 56k WinModem (rev01)

Normally I would now say forget trying to install the modem at all,
since it is a software 'Winmodem'. But I also see it is made by Lucent
so we should be okay...

Quote:> at IRQ 9, Memory at f4000000, I/O Ports at 1838 and at 1400.
> (what kind of a port addr is 1838, anyway)

> I've downloaded the lucent driver and tried to install it.  However,
> when I try to install it with 'ltinst", it fails on the
> "/sbin/insmod -v -f ltmodem" command, with the error message:
> "insmod: ltmodem: no module by that name found"
> However, the /dev/ttyS14 device node is there and the ltmodem.o
> gets delivered to the correct directory.

Open the ltinst script in an editor and change the line:

/sbin/insmod -v -f ltmodem

to:

/sbin/insmod -v -f -o /lib/modules/Your-kernel-here/net/ltmodem.o

i.e. explicitly state the whole path of the module.

Perhaps this will help.

Cheers,

Dave. :-)

P.S. Was it really necessary to cross post to _SEVEN_ newsgroups? Pick
one, wait, if you get no response, choose another. Don't flood the 'net
with multiple copies of your message unnecessarily. :-) Follow-up set.

Need help configuring modem using SuSE

Post by Stev » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 02:22:20

Quote:>I've downloaded the lucent driver and tried to install it.  However,
>when I try to install it with 'ltinst", it fails on the
>"/sbin/insmod -v -f ltmodem" command, with the error message:
>"insmod: ltmodem: no module by that name found"
>However, the /dev/ttyS14 device node is there and the ltmodem.o
>gets delivered to the correct directory.

>The Lucent driver readme says to configure "minicom" after running
>the driver install.  However, there is NO "minicom" on the machine.

So go download minicom from wherever, presumably the docs don't say
"just ignore this bit and do your own thing".

Are you sure that minicom isn't on the CD that your distro came on?

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  4:25pm  up 16 days, 17:46,  2 users,  load average: 1.27, 1.17, 1.07

1. Help Needed Configuring Remote Printer on SUSE 6.4

I am trying to connect an HP DeskJet 850C to a P100 running SUSE Linux 6.4.
The printer is connected to a CAT5/10 Mbs network via an Axis OfficeBasic
Print Server. The printer has a network name (in Axis) of 193.1.1.201_9900
and a model name of DESKJET 850C.

I am a nenwbie at Linux and cannot find any information that helps me
configure this. I have seen other messages that say use 'printtool' but I
can find no reference to this on my distribution. Also, on the same network
is another UNIX server running SCO OpenServer 5.5. I would eventually like
all of our printers to connect in this way and be seen by all PCs and
Servers alike. This printer is currently only seen by PCs with the Axis
print server software loaded.

Can anyone give me simple step-by-step instructions for connecting,
configuring and driving the printer from Linux and/or SCO UNIX. Basic steps
pleas. I really am a newbie.

Many thanks

2. Writing scripts files in linux.....

3. Patch to getty_ps2.0.7b for linux 0.99.15

4. newbie Suse modem help needed

5. Linux RedHat 5.2 or SuSE 5.3 ?

6. Need help configuring my Diamond PCI modem.

7. Can I control the speed of users con ....

8. Newbie needs help in configuring null modem setup!

9. Help configuring PCI modem in 4.0 needed

10. Need help to configure modem on Mini-linux

11. Need help configuring modem

12. Newbie needs help configuring cable modem connection in RedHat Linux 5.2