1. Disk Druid installs '/' to incorrect hard drive (Red Hat 6.1)
If anyone can shed any light on the following problem, I'd be very grateful.
My PC already has one hard drive installed - 13Gb with the following
partitions: 1Gb Win95 (FAT), 4Gb NT (NTFS), 2Gb extra (FAT). The
remaining space is unpartitioned. I want to install RH 6.1 on this
machine, but would like this on a separate drive (I don't really like
the idea of both Linux and various windows on the same drive). So, I
installed a 1Gb drive as the 2nd device on the primary IDE channel with
the intention on installing onto this. I will be using the NT boot
loader to manage the multiple boots.
However, attempting to use Disk Druid to partition this drive led to
rather infuriating problems - it would refuse the put the Linux '/' fs
on hdb (the 1Gb disk) and would insist on putting it on hda (the disk
with NT, etc. on it), this is regardless of what I made "allowable".
Eventually I thought I might as well just install Linux on my 13Gb disk
so went ahead and found I had rendered NT unbootable. I suspect that
Linux fiddling with the hda parition table confused NT into not finding
where it was installed at boot time. Anyway, I have fixed this now.
So, my real questions are:
Why won't Disk Druid partition '/' on hdb?
Is there something unacceptable about booting from a disk that isn't
first on a particular IDE channel?
How can I install Linux on hdb, whilst leaving hda untouched (I have a
lot of Visual C++ work there)?
Many thanks in advance for any help.
Division of Informatics
University of Edinburgh
2. Should I upgrade to 5.0?
3. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install
4. Does xconfig come with kernel RPM?
5. Can't install redhat Linux 6.1
6. executing a command over many machines
7. RH 6.1 Install - Startx Doesn't (start)
8. Compaq Presario 4840, ATI Rage 3d
9. I cann't install MySQL 3.22 on RedHat 6.1
10. Can't install Rh 6.1 on 486 with 15gb drive and Promise Drivemax
11. RHL 6.1 CD burned from mirror download isn't recognized at install
12. Can't install Linux-Mandrake 6.1
13. Modem won't work after RedHat 6.1 Install!!!