bootstrap problem with slack

Post by bbar.. » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'd appreciate some help getting Slackware loaded.  My background is
Novelll and Windows so forgive my total ignorance.  I got a QUE 2nd
edition Using Linux.  I actually read it and tried to follow the
directions too.  The box is a 486, PnP board with ISA, VLB and PCI
slots, Intel DX2-66 in a socket3, 16 megs of non-edo 72 pin RAM.  I've
got a PCI Mach video card and I've tried both a Promise 2300plus VLB
controller and a Goldstar ISA controller.  The HDD is an old Fujitsu
130 meg with 5 meg DOS partition and the rest is not partitioned yet.
The BIOS is '93 AMI, with no specific option to disable PnP.  LBA is
off.
When I boot with bare, I get general protection crashes immediately
after the kernal starts loading.  It lists four BIOS_32 inits and then
pukes.  I've also tried sbpcd and idecd, when I had my old SBPRO 16 in
there, but I've taken it out to eliminate the variables.  I've tried a
few different boot parameters as well as none and the results are

1. Slack 1.1.1 or Slack 1.1.0

        The aggresive Slackware keep someone happy. But for a seasonal unix
user like me, it is a nighmare to keep up with the newest version(so is SLS)
. I had SLS a year ago. Because upgrade means reinstall from scratch, I
gave up and delete SLS. Now I am back. I want to ensure what I get will
serve me for next year. My local BBS has Slack1.1.0. The newest version
1.1.1 just out. Can someone give me some suggestion on which to get.

2. changing env variable

3. bootstrap.conf problem on MacOS

4. "Login Incorrect" after modifying /etc/passwd !??

5. gcc 3.2 bootstrap compile problems on solaris 2.8

6. RAID 0 and minisystem

7. MkLinux FTP install bootstrap problem

8. FreeBSD for the desktop

9. Bootstrap problem running mklinux on a 6100

10. Error installing MKLinux DR3 (NOT bootstrap.conf problem)

11. Slack 3.0.0 Boot Problem with AHA1522

12. Slack 3.3 install problem?

13. Slack 0.99.15: Problems getting started (probably easy)