Linux

Post by margare » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can I use Linux as an operatering system on my computer?
How will it affect my software?

Linux

Post by Pear » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Can I use Linux as an operatering system on my computer?
>How will it affect my software?

>--

Linux is an OS.  It will run on jsut about any PC.  It uses different
software than Micrsosoft so you will have to migrate to different
applications to do what you are used to, unless you opt for WINE which
whill allow Windows applications to run under Linux, albeit slower
than under windows at times.

Best idea is find someone who already runs Linux and try it on their
system before installing on yours.  Otehrwise, you will likely have to
repartition your HD and make from to install it as it uses a different
filesystem than Windows unless you find a distro that will install on
a Windows partition.  I think Corel and Mandrake will do that.

HTH

-Pearce

Linux

Post by margare » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Can I use Linux as an operatering system on my computer?
> How will it affect my software?

> --

Linux

Post by <bkroneng.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am having problems with the colors on my server.  The yellow is a mustard
color when in the background.  I tried changing the setterm to make the
background a bold yellow, but it is still mustard.  I can get the bright
yellow color I want as a foreground color though using yellow -bold on.
What else can I try?  Thanks for your help.

Linux

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am having problems with the colors on my server.  The yellow is a mustard
>color when in the background.  I tried changing the setterm to make the
>background a bold yellow, but it is still mustard.  I can get the bright
>yellow color I want as a foreground color though using yellow -bold on.
>What else can I try?

Degauss your monitor?

Quote:>Thanks for your help.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

Linux

Post by cLIeNUX us » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I am having problems with the colors on my server.  The yellow is a mustard
>color when in the background.  I tried changing the setterm to make the
>background a bold yellow, but it is still mustard.  I can get the bright
>yellow color I want as a foreground color though using yellow -bold on.
>What else can I try?  Thanks for your help.

The SVGATextMode package has several console utilities for text
attributes including color.

Rick Hohensee
cLIeNUX user 0

Quote:>--