man -k not working

Post by Grant R. Bowm » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> I've just upgraded linux to a new version (The one on CD from
> "Linux unleashed".  I have now come across a problem with man -k.
> This is what I get:

> >orange% man -k ls
> >fg: no job control
> >apropos:  manpath is null
> >Error executing formatting or display command
> >System command exited with status 256

> But this is what I get from setenv | grep MANPATH:

> >MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/man/preformat:/usr/man:/usr/X11/man:
> >/usr/openwin/man:/usr/local/soft/modula3-3.4/man

> Does anyone know how to solve this?

Well, I don't know if this will solve it, but here's some info.

The command 'man -k' I believe just runs a shell script called apropos.
this is my first attempt at "using the source, Luke."  Apropos uses the
command manpath=`/usr/bin/man --path | tr :'\040'` to find where to look.
To check this at a command line, echo of this.

One thing to note about my man setup.  I found a bug in the
/usr/lib/makewhatis script I have with my Slackware 2.2.0.1 setup.  I
believe this is significant because it creates that whatis database files
that the man -k, apropos, whatis, and whereis scripts uses.  Not all man
pages are included when first creating this set of whatis databases, nor
are they all updated when running updatedb.  I am tracking down the
current maintainers of this script.

Related to all this are locate and updatedb (run from cron).  In short, I
am trying to get these subsystems working correctly, and it's kind of a
struggle, because they are all inter-related.  I almost got it now, except
for this makewhatis bug.

Cheers,
--

-- Speak only well of people and you need never whisper. - Fortune Cookie

man -k not working

Post by Ian Burre » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Related to all this are locate and updatedb (run from cron).  In short, I
: am trying to get these subsystems working correctly, and it's kind of a
: struggle, because they are all inter-related.  I almost got it now, except
: for this makewhatis bug.

The best solution for this problem is to upgrade the find package from
Slackware 2.3.0.  That is what I did, and it seems to have fixed all
of the configurations problems.  And locate/updatedb are completely
separate from the man pages stuff, and updatedb does not update the
man pages database.

 - Ian

--
== Ian Burrell =====================************************************

Katz's Law: Men and nations will act rationally when all other
    possibilities have been exhausted.
************************************====================================

1. Man! my man doesn't work.

I can't seem to view any man pages - man says it can't find anything I
ask for.  I have two different version slackware installations doing
the same thing.

My environment shows MANPATH set to include /usr/man, along
with several other places.  (BTW, how are env variables changed,
there doesn't seem to be a .cshrc file anywhere?).  In the various
subdirectories under /usr/man are hordes of files (.gz).  I unzipped
one of them (gzip -d man.1.gz) ) to see if that was what was missing,
but the man command still couldn't find man.

Man!

2. POSIX clocks & timers take 2

3. man works, man -t doesn't

4. Bug at page_alloc.c:183

5. Solaris 2.4 x86: man(1) does not use `man.cf'

6. ETHERNET PCI/PnP

7. Man pages not working

8. man command won't work

9. Slackware 3.0 G++ not working and "man" only sometimes

10. SCO 5 Man pages not working

11. man not working?

12. MAN Apropos Not Working - Need Help

13. man does not work