FTP resumed downloads

Post by CPM2 Alex Agranov 118 » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

What is the trick to enable %subj%?

When I use standard FTP console client (just enter FTP in console) or
MidnightCommander, I don't get it - each time the connection falls down,
I need to start everything from the beginning. The same behaviour is
under Netscape 3.04.

Thanks in advance,
                       Sasha

--
"Bless Be He Who Has a God In Him,
  For I Can No Longer Find Mine"

|  (   )    0ooo.      (972) 8 9131187        |
+---\ (-----(   )-----------------------------+
     \_)     ) /
            (_/

FTP resumed downloads

Post by maciej h babinsk » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the trick to enable %subj%?
> When I use standard FTP console client (just enter FTP in console) or
> MidnightCommander, I don't get it - each time the connection falls down,
> I need to start everything from the beginning. The same behaviour is
> under Netscape 3.04.

Use the command "reget" under your standard text ftp client.

FTP resumed downloads

Post by Rolf Magnu » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

 > What is the trick to enable %subj%?
 >
 > When I use standard FTP console client (just enter FTP in console) or
 > MidnightCommander, I don't get it - each time the connection falls
down,
 > I need to start everything from the beginning. The same behaviour is
 > under Netscape 3.04.

With my RedHat 4.2 came ncftp, a very good ftp client. You can resume
downloads with it, I think with the command get -C thefilename. It has
a help system where you can look if this is the correct command.

FTP resumed downloads

Post by Stephen Richard FREELA » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: > When I use standard FTP console client (just enter FTP in console) or
: > MidnightCommander, I don't get it - each time the connection falls down,
: > I need to start everything from the beginning. The same behaviour is
: > under Netscape 3.04.

: Use the command "reget" under your standard text ftp client.
        Ah, but beware:  An astonishing number of ftp servers out there
don't know *themselves* about that command, so even if you do try to "reget"
it may or may not work.  Once you're connected, try this on your ftp
commandline:
        quote help rest
        If you see the word "unimplemented" in the response, then that
server won't resume transfers.
        And AFAIK Netscape doesn't do this, *ever*.
        Ciao... . SNF .
        p.s.  I'm taking colx out of the followups.

--
Steve 'Nephtes' Freeland | I'm an undergrad and I'm okay        (Apologies

FTP resumed downloads

Post by Ataraxi » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> : > When I use standard FTP console client (just enter FTP in console) or
> : > MidnightCommander, I don't get it - each time the connection falls down,
> : > I need to start everything from the beginning. The same behaviour is
> : > under Netscape 3.04.

> : Use the command "reget" under your standard text ftp client.
>         Ah, but beware:  An astonishing number of ftp servers out there
> don't know *themselves* about that command, so even if you do try to "reget"
> it may or may not work.  Once you're connected, try this on your ftp
> commandline:
>         quote help rest
>         If you see the word "unimplemented" in the response, then that
> server won't resume transfers.
>         And AFAIK Netscape doesn't do this, *ever*.

Mine does, strangely enough. I never saw it do so on any other
system, including Win 95 and Solaris 5.2. I was getting a large
file, and my PPP link broke, and I thought, oh s**t, I have to do
it again. But no, when i asked for the file it did a reget...

--

 Official Defunct Poet of alt.books.m-lackey
 Proud Red Hat Linux user

1. resume aborted ftp download

Hi Folks,

a short question about the standard ftp daemon of Sparc Solaris 2.6. We
have an ftp server which a client wants to access over a slow
connection. He wants to resume aborted downloads, the question is now,
is this possible with the standard ftp daemon or must it be configured
in a special way ?

Thanx in advance, G.Bitzer

2. rsh problems with net-2.

3. ftp client that supports resuming aborted downloads?

4. why no 6100/7100/8100 support

5. Resume FTP download/upload?

6. X 11 configuration

7. Wu ftp provide no server on resume download?

8. Cron Question

9. resume an aborted ftp download

10. resuming an aborted ftp download

11. Ftp client that resumes downloads?

12. Resume FTP download ?

13. Resuming HTTP Downloads with a Download Manager?