Tough one: two accts & domains, one box

Post by djpeter.. » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi!  Thanks for reading this.  I have a tough one here and need any and
all help I can get.  I am setting up a server for an ISP and am
required to support two (or more) domains on the same box, and allow
the same login name to be used in each domain without conflict.  Can
this be done?  Would anyone out there be kind enough to point me to a
document about it, or offer some suggestions?

I am running Redhat Linux 5.2.  I have the web server and IP aliasing
working for the two domains, but need some guidance on how to map the
passwd file.

Thanks,

Dave Peterson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tough one: two accts & domains, one box

Post by djpeter.. » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just a quick clarification about my original question.  The idea is
that this machine answers to multiple IP addresses.  When you connect
on for instance xx.xx.xx.8 you are on one domain's logon accounts, and
when you are on xx.xx.xx.9 you are on the other domain's accounts.

I have been told you can accomplish this, but not how or what such an
operation might be called.  Any ideas, suggestions, ridicule welcome.
Thanks!

Dave

> Hi!  Thanks for reading this.  I have a tough one here and need any
and
> all help I can get.  I am setting up a server for an ISP and am
> required to support two (or more) domains on the same box, and allow
> the same login name to be used in each domain without conflict.  Can
> this be done?  Would anyone out there be kind enough to point me to a
> document about it, or offer some suggestions?

> I am running Redhat Linux 5.2.  I have the web server and IP aliasing
> working for the two domains, but need some guidance on how to map the
> passwd file.

> Thanks,

> Dave Peterson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Two domains, one box?

As I get deeper and deeper into this networking fun, I'm finding myself trying
to do things that aren't necessarily documented.  Once I get it up and running
I'll try to document somewhere so that others can benefit from my follies...

Latest situation:

10baseT network that connects an Amiga, a Mac, and a SCO 5.0.2 box (FreeSCO)
on my home network.  Why? Don't ask.  Goal here is to have the SCO box serve
as the DNS (probably overkill but...)

Also will be getting an ISDN connection which will connect to a second Ethernet
card in the SCO box via a bridge (ISDN/Ethernet bridge).  This second IP
connection will be direct between home and work.  I'll obviously have two IP
addresses, and also two domains.

Is there any quick documentation on how this should be configured (such as
/etc/resolv.conf and other magic TCP/IP configuration files)?

TIA

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman    O-          Team AMIGA
                            by day  : Build and Tools, Tivoli Systems Inc.

<A HREF="http://www.cs.stedwards.edu/u/heyman/"> My other self </A>

2. A sed quesion!

3. One Linux Box two Web domains?

4. dtmail and vacation

5. Domain Name - Can I have two on one Linux Box?

6. Debian on MIPS

7. Direct one domain to a second Linux box running Tomcat

8. Share your knowledge

9. two domains on one box

10. Okay, this is a tough one, using NT PDC for logins into my Linux box

11. Tough Arp Problem - two subnets, one switch

12. A tough one: RH 6.0 innstall fails on "second stage image"

13. Apache: two servers & one domain