LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Post by Paolo Volp » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello All,

Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
Disk Manager?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Post by Nicola? Kisselhof » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You don't need ontrack...
Install lilo on MBR and you'll your dual dos/linux boot.

Nicola?.

> Hello All,

> Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

> My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
> Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
> available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
> What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
> I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

> I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
> 1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
> partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
> root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
> I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
> couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
> avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
> Disk Manager?

> Thanks in advance for any pointers.

LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Post by Paolo Volp » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Nicolai and Bob (you replied to someone else having a similar
problem).

I've been trying to get rid of OnTrack completely (as you mentioned
Nicolai) and everything works as I want it (to simply use LILO to boot
either DOS622 or Linux), except that in DOS, I don't have access to
anything > about 500 Meg (because of my old BIOS).

So then my main question is:
1)  Is it possible to use LILO to boot both Linux and DOS, *and* have
LILO mimic OnTrack's ability to fool the BIOS so that DOS can access the
entire 6.4 Gig?  How?

And lastly:
2)  How can I remove OnTrack?  I tried fdisk /mbr but that does not seem
to work.

Thanks in advance for the help

> [...]

> Install lilo on MBR and you'll your dual dos/linux boot.

> Nicola?.

> > Hello All,

> > Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

> > My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
> > Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
> > available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
> > What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
> > I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

> > I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
> > 1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
> > partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
> > root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
> > I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
> > couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
> > avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with

Post by Ron Bel » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Your computer needs OnTrack in order to recognize above 500 MB so leave
OnTrack alone (OnTrack does not reside in the MBR but very close to it).
You want to install Lilo in the linux partition and NEVER in the MBR. If
you installed lilo in the MBR then you need to reinstall OnTrack and
reinstall lilo in your linux partition and add DOS, Linux to the boot
options. Make your linux partition "active" with fdisk. That's the way I
boot with OnTrack installed.

> Thanks Nicolai and Bob (you replied to someone else having a similar
> problem).

> I've been trying to get rid of OnTrack completely (as you mentioned
> Nicolai) and everything works as I want it (to simply use LILO to boot
> either DOS622 or Linux), except that in DOS, I don't have access to
> anything > about 500 Meg (because of my old BIOS).

> So then my main question is:
> 1)  Is it possible to use LILO to boot both Linux and DOS, *and* have
> LILO mimic OnTrack's ability to fool the BIOS so that DOS can access the
> entire 6.4 Gig?  How?

> And lastly:
> 2)  How can I remove OnTrack?  I tried fdisk /mbr but that does not seem
> to work.

> Thanks in advance for the help

> > You don't need ontrack...
> > Install lilo on MBR and you'll your dual dos/linux boot.

> > Nicola?.

> > > Hello All,

> > > Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

> > > My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
> > > Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
> > > available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
> > > What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
> > > I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

> > > I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
> > > 1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
> > > partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
> > > root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
> > > I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
> > > couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
> > > avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
> > > Disk Manager?

> > > Thanks in advance for any pointers.

LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Post by anarkisse » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am using the ontrack as well, and found with an earlier debian install
that the easiest way was to load it from a boot disk, after the blue ontrack
banner.  To eliminate ontrack you must format the entire drive from a boot
disk then continue from there.  I don't think fdisk is capable of fooling
the bios though.  The thing about ontrack is that it is there ahead of the
OS while fdisk seems to operate from within it.
choose your primary OS to boot on startup, then use a boot disk after the
blue banner (spacebar) to run your secondary OS
unless a better idea comes up, and then I'll do that one!  heheh, also, I
believe loadlin out of dos is an effective way to switch to linux

Thanks Nicolai and Bob (you replied to someone else having a similar
problem).

I've been trying to get rid of OnTrack completely (as you mentioned
Nicolai) and everything works as I want it (to simply use LILO to boot
either DOS622 or Linux), except that in DOS, I don't have access to
anything > about 500 Meg (because of my old BIOS).

So then my main question is:
1)  Is it possible to use LILO to boot both Linux and DOS, *and* have
LILO mimic OnTrack's ability to fool the BIOS so that DOS can access the
entire 6.4 Gig?  How?

And lastly:
2)  How can I remove OnTrack?  I tried fdisk /mbr but that does not seem
to work.

Thanks in advance for the help

> You don't need ontrack...
> Install lilo on MBR and you'll your dual dos/linux boot.

> Nicola?.

> > Hello All,

> > Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

> > My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
> > Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
> > available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
> > What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
> > I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

> > I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
> > 1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
> > partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
> > root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
> > I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
> > couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
> > avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
> > Disk Manager?

> > Thanks in advance for any pointers.

LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Post by xiag.. » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I also have a ontrack on my system.
And I installed the linux beyond 1024, the first win95 partition is
1.5G, linux is on the second partition, everything OK except I cant
browse internet via linux five days after installed linux.

1. Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
can't boot either from boot sector..

Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
from DOS) to boot Linux.

Anyone have the solution??

--
Linh C. Nguyen

++++++++++++++++

2. POP3d and main in users home directory

3. Ontrack Disk Manager 7 and Lilo

4. How to use a remote printer that was installed on WIN95 ?

5. Large Hard Disk With Ontrack Disk Manager

6. Linux CD-ROM. Competitive upgrade!

7. LILO and Ontrack Manager

8. Bind9 trouble

9. Western Digital - Ontrack Disk Manager & FIPS??

10. Removing Ontrack Disk Manager

11. Linux and Ontrack Disk Manager

12. Ontrack Disk Manager

13. ontrack disk manager and solaris x86