PLEASE HELP ASAP: Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port I have two computers a desktop running Redhat 7.0 and a notepad running Redhat 6.2. I use to use PLIP to share data

Post by smi.. » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:50:46

 PLEASE HELP ASAP: Trying to use PPP to across other computer with
serial port Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port

I have two computers a desktop running Redhat 7.0 and a notepad running
Redhat 6.2. I use to use PLIP to share data but someone told me that PPP
is better and I been trying to get it to work.

I been running the following command on both computers

pppd -detach crtscts lock <local ip>:<remote ip> /dev/ttyS1 38400&  I am
using a null modem cable so it should work.. if you can help in anyway

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

PLEASE HELP ASAP: Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port I have two computers a desktop running Redhat 7.0 and a notepad running Redhat 6.2. I use to use PLIP to share data

Post by Vilmos Sot » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:10:27

OK, next time don't have your problem in the Subject line. ;-)

Quote:> I been running the following command on both computers

> pppd -detach crtscts lock <local ip>:<remote ip> /dev/ttyS1 38400&

I use the following command:

pppd nodetach noauth passive persist local \
        lock localIP:remoteIP /dev/modem 115200

Don't forget on the other machine to switch the IPs over. ;-)

I am sure it is possible to fine tune this command, but I didn't bother
since this is only a backup connection between two networked machines
if one network connection goes down.

Vilmos

1. PLEASE HELP ASAP: Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port

 PLEASE HELP ASAP: Trying to use PPP to across other computer with
serial port Trying to use PPP to across other computer with serial port

I have two computers a desktop running Redhat 7.0 and a notepad running
Redhat 6.2. I use to use PLIP to share data but someone told me that PPP
is better and I been trying to get it to work.

I been running the following command on both computers

pppd -detach crtscts lock <local ip>:<remote ip> /dev/ttyS1 38400&  I am
using a null modem cable so it should work.. if you can help in anyway

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

3. networking two computers using ppp and serial connections

4. Sun Clones / Axil Servers

5. Seeking IRC-Server for Linux

6. Crawling the web..

7. using serial port will hang the computer

8. Stop others from using your computer!!! 8570

9. Stop others from using your computer!!! 6635

10. Stop others from using your computer!!! 8632

11. Stop others from using your computer!!! 5120