SCSI and BIOS32 extensions

Post by Richard Mitche » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Slackware 2.3 from cdrom.  The system
is a 486 100dx with an Adaptec 1542CF Bios 2.02 scsi controller
and an IDE cdrom.  The drive is a Conner, model CFP1060S.

When I use the IDECD bootdisk , i get the following messages
on boot:
        Configuring Adaptec at IO:330, IRQ 11, DMA priority 6
        No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry.
        scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
        scsi : 1 host.

And everything goes on from there looking normal.  My first inclination
was to just ignore it since it was a fresh install...worst case I'll
have to reinstall...well...

During the install while formatting the various partitions, it
complained about wrong blocksize on some of the partitions...I've
since forgotten the exact message (as a side note, having the
setup program instantly return and clear any error messages is
an unfeature.  I dislike having to stare at the screen to catch
any error messages or warnings and then only to have it blip
off before I could really read it).  Is this related?

The system frequently hangs when unmounting the partitions and
at other times the kernel produces:

        Segmentation fault
        general protection: 0000

with a stack dump and other info.

Is the initial BIOS32 warning causing all of this or is there something
else going on?  If it is the BIOS32, is there a fix?

Although I'll be reading the newsgroup, direct replies would be
appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

--

SCSI and BIOS32 extensions

Post by Mike Fris » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Is the initial BIOS32 warning causing all of this or is there something
: else going on?  If it is the BIOS32, is there a fix?

        BIOS32 is for PCI motherboards only.  If you are not using a PCI
motherboard (and it doesn't sound as if you are), then just ignore the
message.

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                        Compuserve: 76620,2534
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

SCSI and BIOS32 extensions

Post by Charles Ga » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: : Is the initial BIOS32 warning causing all of this or is there something
: : else going on?  If it is the BIOS32, is there a fix?

:       BIOS32 is for PCI motherboards only.  If you are not using a PCI
: motherboard (and it doesn't sound as if you are), then just ignore the
: message.

: Mike.

I get the same message when using an Adaptec 1542B, and I am unable
to access any SCSI device.  The same system worked great with an older
version of Linux (ver. 1.0.9), but I have since tried Slackware ver. 2.2
and ver. 2.3 and neither will load.  I am not sure what is going on.
I thought the Adaptec 1542B was the "standard" SCSI adapter, and is
certainly listed as being supported.  However, as I have discovered,
it is not fully supported.  I have since reloaded Linux 1.0.9 and
everything is fine.  I suppose I will have to upgrade piece by piece,
groan...

Charlie

1. BIOS32 extension

When I boot up Linux, I get a message that says no BIOS32 extentions
present. I have looked in the FAQs, HOWTOs and the book Running Linux
but I can't find any reference to BIOS32. If someone could be so kind
as to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

2. catching return values from processes in the background

3. No BIOS32 extensions present.

4. Digiboard

5. I get message "No BIOS32 extensions" when booting slackware 2.2.0 - hopeless?

6. Networking w/D-Link DFE-650TX

7. Refined "No BIOS32 extensions" question.

8. kscd

9. BIOS32 Extensions - HELP!?!?!

10. What are BIOS32 extensions?

11. getting: "No BIOS32 Extensions"