Windows NT + linux

Post by /dev/nial » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed
> time wise.

> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to
install NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

No, and then, yes.

It depends on what you want to use as your boot loader. If you're happy
using lilo to load your OSes, then no, go ahead and install linux
first. There's a howto at:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/mini/Linux+WinNT

That explains how to do it installing Linux first and using lilo to
load operating systems.

If you want to use NT's boot loader I believe you'll hit a snag... NT
doesn't care where it's installed, but the boot loader has the same
limitations as DOS: has to be on hda1. I'm not positive about this, but
given this you may want to opt for the first route and use lilo instead.

Hope this wasn't too confusing!

--
/dev/niall

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Windows NT + linux

Post by Blake Sobilof » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
> time wise.

> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

If you're going to use NT's boot loader, it must reside on the first
partition of the boot drive and the partition must be in FAT or NTFS
format. (IIRC) Check out some of the multi-boot HOWTOs at
<http://www.linux.com/howto/> for more details.

--

Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP

Windows NT + linux

Post by Jason Byrn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've read most of the other replies to your original message... and wanted
to add some details. (then again... maybe you're already done :) )

imho, the most important factor on getting Linux installed on the same drive
as another OS (usually some windows) is making sure you can install LILO to
'a' primary partition.

Also... DOS, 98, and NT all want to use a small portion of the primary
partition on your first hard-drive... regardless of where you install the
'meat' of the OS'.

So... that said... you already have NT's boot loader (and maybe the bulk of
NT?) installed on the first primary partition.

If you created any other partitions on your drive... they are more than
likely logical drives in an extended partition.  Remember that an extended
partition will 'use' another primary partition as a container for the
logical drives... so you would have... in Linux terms... /dev/hda2 as a
container for /dev/hda5, /dev/hda6, and so on...

You are only allowed one extended partition on your drive with most tools...
but you can create multiple primary partitions with the right set of tools.

To wrap this up... the best scenario before a Linux install is to have at
least two 'free' primary partitions and preferably... no extended partition.
You can always create fat16/32 partitions inside of the new extended
partition you create during the Linux install... if you want to give windows
more space.

If you can reduce your hard-drive to a primary partition (with NT on it) and
unused free space... you would proceed as follows:

Create /dev/hda2 for your / mount... and /dev/hda3 as an extended partition
(logical partitions /dev/hda5... /dev/hda6... etc... inside).  Again... if
you need to give back some space to windows... just create a fat16/32
partition as one of the logical drives inside the extended partition).

Finally... install LILO on the boot portion of your / mount (dev/hda2).

Be careful... if you make /dev/hda2 active when you install LILO... you will
think you have lost NT's loader.. because normally you only have one active
partition on a given hard-drive... and the primary partition will be
'switched off'.

You can add a Linux choice to NT's boot menu using 'bootpart'... found at
www.winimage.com.

If you happened to 'lose' NT... and you really didn't install LILO to the
MBR, you can actually get NT back by running through the install up to the
first reboot.  NT's installation would warn you that another OS currently is
using another partition to boot... and that partition will be termporarily
deactivated.  It then gives you a couple of notes about reactivating that
partition using Disk Administrator, etc...

Of course this is slightly complicated if you already installed through SP
20 :) on NT... but I just wanted to add the note about regaining NT's loader
when you've only lost it due to active partition status.

>Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
>time wise.

>What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
>on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
>/dev/sda3-4?

Windows NT + linux

Post by Farooq Saee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
> time wise.

> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

Cutting the long story short ...

NT must boot from within first 2GB or ?? cyl ... so intstall linux in
the first 1.8 GB space and leave 200MB for NT boot. Then you can have
as much space for NT beyound that. Or even put your linux /home in a
later partition. Linux boot must be installed within the first 8GB of HD

Farooq

Windows NT + linux

Post by Prepress Departmen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
> time wise.

Not neccessarily...

Quote:> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

Yes, that should work. The issue is really with the MBR and OS Loader
for each OS. NT is very finicky, and even the linux books I've read
suggest installing it first (the WinNT setup will format and copy the
appropriate files to the MBR. If you install Linux first (and write the
LILO to your MBR), NT's installer will overwrite it when you dump NT on
there. you can always go back and re-install Lilo (or some other 3rd
Party Boot manager like System commander)  but that's just a PIA. Format
your drives away (making room for your Linux Partitions), and just dump
a lean copy of NT on the box (to get the MBR Formatted and installed
etc.) then put your Linux in.

Kevin

Windows NT + linux

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
> time wise.

> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

In principle it shouldn't matter, but since the NT installer may
try to take over the entire disk if you are not careful, it would
be better to install NT first.  When doing so, make sure you
create only a single partition in which to install it.  Once
you have it installed, you can use the running system to create
additional partitions.  Or you can use the Linux installer to
create the Linux partitions.  I've done it both ways.

When installing Linux, make sure you don't put lilo in the
MBR, since that can cause problems for NT.  See the Linux+NT-loader
mini HOWTO.   It is also possible to boot both just using lilo
if you put lilo in a Linux partition and mark that the active
partition on the disk.

Windows NT + linux

Post by A Noura » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
time wise.

What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
/dev/sda3-4?

Windows NT + linux

Post by funde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you want to dual boot LINUX with NT, you have to know a few things.

First, the size of all the NT partions before LINUX ext2 partions, should
not be over 8GB.
You know the 1024 sylinder problem. It is important. So if you have more
than 8GB size of NT partitoin (FAT16 or NTFS), LINUX installation can not be
going well. No installation.

Second, you know, you should not setup LILO on MBR. It is also important.

And third, if you succeed LINUX installation there's two thing you have to
do if you want to dual boot with OS Loader. (it is recommended.)
You can boot on LINUX with you LINUX boot floppy. Then in the terminal type
like this,

# dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

( /dev/hda2 is my system's LINUX boot partition. So you should type your own
LINUX boot partition there.)

then, copy the bootsect.lnx to C:\ (NT's first boot partition.) using floppy
diskette or sharable FAT16 partition.

Now, it's NT's turn. Boot on NT. And modify the boot.ini file's properties
to read-only unchecked then open the file and insert this line,

C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="LINUX"

save and exit.

When you select LINUX on OS Loader menu, you can boot LINUX. (in LINUX,
default boot OS should be LINUX.)

Good Luck.

> Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
> time wise.

> What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install
NT
> on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
> /dev/sda3-4?

Windows NT + linux

Post by Stev » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:03:00 +1100, "A Nourai"

>Is it necessary to install NT before linux partition-wise, as opposed to
>time wise.

>What I mean is if I want to dual boot linux and NT, do I need to install NT
>on the first few partitions of my hard drive and install linux on say
>/dev/sda3-4?

Try this link:
http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3/triple_boot.htm
It explains how to set up a triple boot NT/98/Linux system using NT's
loader. The section on the NT/Linux boot should answer your questions
and explain in detail a setup like "funder's" post.

1. Windows NT, Linux and DOS all together?

Anyone know if you can or cannot have MSDOS/DRDOS, Windows NT and Linux all
on one PC?
--

on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very
best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the

2. How to configure font family Symbol for Netscape in XFree86

3. Windows NT + Linux on same PC

4. Urgent ! What I have to do to work my network

5. Win95, Windows NT, Linux (and Maybe OS/2) on the same FAT partition

6. Script/Command line args for FTP needed!!

7. Windows, NT, Linux OH MY!

8. Netscape Servers on Linux?

9. Windows NT, Linux and DOS all together?

10. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

11. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

12. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

13. I want Linux, Windows 95 & Windows NT all on C: