Partitioning Question

Post by V. Dimitriadi » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I just purchased Win95 but, like Windows 3.x, I find it very messy
(writing files all over the place etc.) so I decided to have a separate
DOS partition for my DOS programs and another partition for Windows 95 to
do its stuff.

I also have Linux installed on the same machine so I can
use the Linux boot program to choose if I'm booting Linux or DOS or
Windows. My question is:

Q: Is it possible to have _two_bootable_DOS_partitions_ so I dont need to
    always boot from the Win partition to access my old DOS ?

Please forward any replies to my personal address as well.

Thanks in advance.

Centre for Process Systems Engng
Imperial College
London SW7 2BY

Partitioning Question

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Q: Is it possible to have _two_bootable_DOS_partitions_ so I dont need to
:     always boot from the Win partition to access my old DOS ?

Yes. For example, using OS/2 BM.

Partitioning Question

Post by Finn Jorgens » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:V. Dimitriadis writes:

|> I also have Linux installed on the same machine so I can
|> use the Linux boot program to choose if I'm booting Linux or DOS or
|> Windows. My question is:
|>
|> Q: Is it possible to have _two_bootable_DOS_partitions_ so I dont need to
|>     always boot from the Win partition to access my old DOS ?

LILO (the Linux boot loader) should be able to handle that.

I haven't tried, since I avoid Windows like the plague, but I see no
reason why LILO would refuse that.
Just edit LILO.CONF to include the two possibilities.

Finn
--

IFSIC, bureau TB122, Universite de Rennes
Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 RENNES CEDEX, FRANCE

Partitioning Question

Post by William Rouc » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I also have Linux installed on the same machine so I can
> use the Linux boot program to choose if I'm booting Linux or DOS or
> Windows. My question is:

> Q: Is it possible to have _two_bootable_DOS_partitions_ so I dont need to
>     always boot from the Win partition to access my old DOS ?

If you have Linux on your system, you can configure LILO so that you have a choice of
which partition to boot.  You set a default boot, and just hit the TAB key upon
bootup to bring up a list of choices if you want to boot something else.  Check the
Linux documentation (HOWTO's and FAQ's) on how to adjust /etc/lilo.conf to suit your
needs.

Bill

Partitioning Question

Post by H Tipt » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

What you need is OS/2 Boot Manager -you can boot at least 4 systems
independently. I use it for DOs/WIn, OS/2 and 2 experimental Linuxes

H Tipton

Partitioning Question

Post by Paul J Mitche » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> If you have Linux on your system, you can configure LILO so that you
> have a choice of which partition to boot.  You set a default boot, and
> just hit the TAB key upon bootup to bring up a list of choices if you
> want to boot something else.  Check the Linux documentation (HOWTO's
> and FAQ's) on how to adjust /etc/lilo.conf to suit your needs.

Check out the "prompt" and "message" lilo commands (and "timeout" too, for
defaulting). It's quite simple to have text come up describing the boot names
(various OSs) and the prompt ready and waiting for you.

You can have as many DOS/Win partitions as you like, but only one primary
partition on each disk will be visible from any one of them, and they have to
boot from a primary partition, lilo doesn't care but DOS does (I think).
--

Department of Chemistry,        | www   http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk/~chs1pm
University of Surrey,           | Tel   (01483) 300800x2580  Fax (01483) 259514

Partitioning Question

Post by H Tipt » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> What you need is OS/2 Boot Manager -you can boot at least 4 systems
> independently. I use it for DOs/WIn, OS/2 and 2 experimental Linuxes

UPDATE
^^^^^^
I recently got a message from Linux-FT "Sorry I don't know how to handle
your terminal" and I realised that you can't fence-in Linux in the
same way as DOS - OS/2. SO I now run only one Linux on my computer.
> H Tipton

1. DOS partition/Linux partition question

I'll be tackling a Linux install in the next few days and have a
question about partitioning.

I have 2 physical drives; "c" which contains Win95, and "d" which is
used for several Win95 programs and storage.

My question is this. Can I or should I DOS partition my "d" drive into 2
Dos partitions making it "d" and "e" then use "e" for my Linux
installation? Or should I just use the Linux fdisk and create partitions
on the "d" drive? The "d" drive is a 1.2 gb Conner and I've thought
about setting aside 800/900mb for Linux. Does this sound reasonable or
am I just wasting time doing it this way? Would I be able to use LILO if
I make 2 DOS partitions?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Flenar

2. FS: Solaris 2.5.1 SPARC - unopened

3. partitioning (or, re-partitioning) question

4. How to uninstall any package..............??

5. Swap Partition Question

6. Mainframe -> Linux File transfer problem

7. 10.2 GB IDE disk partition question

8. Boot floppy fails???

9. partition question

10. FAT16 partition questions

11. Partitioning Question

12. dual OS partition question

13. Linux RedHat 4.1 swap partition question