How do I disconnect PPP?! (and a couple of other things...)

How do I disconnect PPP?! (and a couple of other things...)

Post by Jame » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

 Hi.
I've just installed slackware and Xfree86 with the Win95 interface. I'm
doing it bit by bit, as downloading with a 14400 modem isn't fun :-)
Anyway, finally got my PPP script to work, it dials up and connects, and
arena works, and I can send mail OK, but how do I disconnect? I've read that
I do CTRL-C, but my script exits back to the shell, so CTRL-C does nothing.
At the moment, I'm having to kill the process to disconnect, which is a bit
messy!

Also, I can send mail to my dialup account, but how do I receive it? I used
PINE and sent myself mail, but when cheking it with IE4 under win, the mail

One other thing... In the 'modules' submenu in fvwm95-2, the config one
doesn't exist, the actual file isn't on disk, and it's not in the package I
installed from. Anyone care to mail it to me or tell me where I can get it
from...?
May thanks in advance,
James

Post by Clone Rang » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi.
>I've just installed slackware and Xfree86 with the Win95 interface. I'm
>doing it bit by bit, as downloading with a 14400 modem isn't fun :-)
>Anyway, finally got my PPP script to work, it dials up and connects, and
>arena works, and I can send mail OK, but how do I disconnect? I've read that
>I do CTRL-C, but my script exits back to the shell, so CTRL-C does nothing.
>At the moment, I'm having to kill the process to disconnect, which is a bit
>messy!

There's a script to terminate the ppp connection: /sbin/ppp-off
If you run it as root, just ppp-off will do, If as a regulkar user,
make sure your path includes /sbin... Of course, depending on your
setup the ppp-off script might not be in /sbin, just look for it.

Post by j.. » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Greeno writes:
> killall ppp will work, not elegant but will work.

Make that 'killall pppd'.

Quote:> Check out the PPP-HowTo and /sbin/ppp-off

Where you will find that ppp-off is a wrapper around kill.  There's nothing
'inelegant' about 'killall pppd'.  That is how pppd expects to be told to
shut down.

John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.

Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email adverti*ts to this address.

1. My ISP is doing Wierd Things (PPP)

My ISP will add three lines of test after the password is given.  You
have to hit enter to
get the LPD frames to start.  I have played with the ppp-on-dialer (an
automated 'chat'
script that came with Red Hat 4.2) to accommodate this but it doesn't
want to work.

I used Hypertermial on my Win95 box to login in the ISP so that I could
see what was going on
and the following is a transcript (items in "" are comments from me to
whomever reads this):

UQKT2 tnt2.dfw5.da.uu.net

Login: (Removed)                       "Typed user name and enter"
Password:                                   "Typed password and enter"
    Entering PPP Session.            "This text appeared by itself from
my ISP"
    IP address is 153.36.185.242
    MTU is 1524.                        "Typed enter and the first LPD
frame came across"

I am hoping that someone can give me a hand.

Thank you,

Mike Lashbrook

2. usseradd woes

3. ppp speed lousy doing more than one thing

4. #9gxe64 Xconfig

5. gcc2.1 binary size question... a couple of others.begin.guide

6. CP:SOURCE => SW-Tool, opinion poll

7. Need some help on a couple things...

8. Running multiple time zones on different SP2 nodes.

9. Couple of small things.

10. Couple of small things (followup)

11. Making the Linux kernel do the right thing on vfat and others

12. A couple of kernel things: noblink and SYN

13. A couple things I need help with...