PC dialing in to Linux and using Samba?

Post by Ivan Fet » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

   I have samba set up and working fine over our ethernet network, but I'd
like to setup another machine to dial in via modem and connect to samba
shares.  I could use Microsoft Remote Access (ras as they call it?) along
with Microsoft Client (lanmanager) to do this I think, but I'm not exactly
sure how I would go about having Linux answer the call and then turn it
over to samba, or start samba because samba is usually started via inetd,
over a tcpip port.  I could also have a PPP dialin on the Linux box and
just run some kind of winsock (which seems to crash) on the PC, to
establish the PPP connection and then use Microsoft Client and TCPIP to
use samba.

Any thoughts as to whether this could work, and how it might be done are
greatly appreciated.  Whether via RAS, PPP and Microsoft Client, or
another way.

Thanks!!
Ivan

1. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

I'm having trouble getting dial-outs to work when dial-ins are
enabled.  I can dial out on /dev/cua1 when getty isn't running
on /dev/ttyS1, but when getty is running I get a message that
the port I'm trying to dial-out on (/dev/cua1) is in use.  I
read the FAQs and everything seems to be set up right.  What
am I doing wrong?

[I'm running SLS 1.02 (0.99pl9).]
--
Eric Dittman                  Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  Not even my opinions.  I found them by the side of the road.

2. Is there PD Unix for 386/486?

3. Dialing into Internet with one PC and using that PC as gateway for rest of LAN

4. How do I change fonts?

5. Linux and Dial-ins (?)

6. PCMCIA modem for linux

7. Networking Acorn RISC PC's and Linux using Samba

8. Computer slows down after installing 3c900-COMBO

9. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

10. Running PC programs from Linux using samba

11. browse linux pc (with samba installed) from DOS pc

12. dial ins

13. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100