crc error in Red Hat boot

Post by Paul Wils » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm having trouble booting Red Hat 2.0.   After it starts to boot,
after the kernel params section (where you get the option of
autodetecting), it seems to be trying to uncompress the kernel but
dies with a crc error.

I figured I just had a bad floppy, but I made another copy of the
boot image on another floppy and the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

   Paul

--

| Papers on memory allocators, garbage collection, memory hierarchies,
| persistence and  Scheme interpreters and compilers available via ftp from
| ftp.cs.utexas.edu, in pub/garbage (or http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wilson/)

crc error in Red Hat boot

Post by Dick Chapma » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I went thru the same thing with Slackware. Boot to DOS and look for info on
'loadlin' on your CD. It launches Linux from DOS. Once the kernel loads,
everything else is as if you'd booted from a floppy.

Good luck,

-Dick

crc error in Red Hat boot

Post by Robert D. Johns » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I went thru the same thing with Slackware. Boot to DOS and look for info on
>'loadlin' on your CD. It launches Linux from DOS. Once the kernel loads,
>everything else is as if you'd booted from a floppy.

>Good luck,

>-Dick

I use loadlin as well. Excellent program. However, the 'crc error' may still
occur when the kernel is decompressed. As I discovered myself, and as a
kernel are often memory/cache related. I had the same problem until I set my
BIOS setup DRAM access from 'FAST' to 'SLOWER'. (Rats. :-( ) Check the L2 cache
settings as well; they may need to be set slower (T2 to T3, etc.)

1. CRC error in Red Hat Linux 6.0 LILO Boot.

CRC error in Red Hat Linux 6.0  LILO Boot.

Dear Friends,

Hi! There. I have 2 hard disks on my pc. On my first hard disk (fat 32
file system 8  gb) I have  4 prtitions and windows 95 installed on it.
On my seconmd hard disk (2.5 gb) I am trying to install Linux. Teh
problem is that the installation goes on smoothly. The problem arises
that after rebooting in LILO boot when I enter Linux.. I get

crc error

-- System Halted.

Please could anybody give me a clue that why I am getting this problem.

Also please note that the hard disk on which I am installing Linux is a
Secondary master hard disk and 8 gb hard disk is primary master hard
disk.

Any type of help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks In Advcance

Vikram

please reply to

2. TCP hiccups on T1 connection

3. Init not calling /etc/rc.0

4. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

5. Multicast and routed for Linux?

6. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

7. phone rings, linux answers!?

8. Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

9. Booting from SLS1.03 -> crc error, from HLU boot/root is ok?

10. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

11. Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

12. error message at boot - Red Hat 5.2