Help setting up firewall/proxy server

Post by Brandon Hi » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to configure a linux box to act as a proxy server for a small
subnet.

The system has 2 NE2000 cards installed, one at IRQ 10, io 320, the
other at IRQ 12, io 300.

The kernel (v1.2.13) identifies eth0 as the IRQ12 card, but doesn't see
the other card. When I remove the IRQ 12 card, it detects the IRQ 10
card. So it can see both of them, but not at once. Do I need to set any
flags in the kernel setup to get this to work correctly? Should I try a
1.3.x kernel?

Also, if you can offer any advice on setting up a firewall/proxy server,
I'm interested.

Thanks,
-B

Brandon High    http://www.ccnet.com/~bjhigh    Down with Big Brother!

--
Controlling stock in my Eternal Soul is now available. Write for details.

Post by Steve June » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

: I'm trying to configure a linux box to act as a proxy server for a small
: subnet.

: The system has 2 NE2000 cards installed, one at IRQ 10, io 320, the
: other at IRQ 12, io 300.

: The kernel (v1.2.13) identifies eth0 as the IRQ12 card, but doesn't see
: the other card. When I remove the IRQ 12 card, it detects the IRQ 10
: card. So it can see both of them, but not at once. Do I need to set any
: flags in the kernel setup to get this to work correctly? Should I try a
: 1.3.x kernel?

In your lilo.conf, specify a line like:

        append="ether=IRQ,IO,eth0 IRQ,IO,eth1

I am not sure of the syntax (I am not in front of my Linux box 8-()

sj

: Also, if you can offer any advice on setting up a firewall/proxy server,
: I'm interested.

: Thanks,
: -B

: Brandon High    http://www.ccnet.com/~bjhigh    Down with Big Brother!

: --
: Controlling stock in my Eternal Soul is now available. Write for details.

--
Steeve Juneau

http://www.rvo.qc.ca/~steevej (in a few days)

Post by Jack N. Gallemor » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

> : Also, if you can offer any advice on setting up a firewall/proxy server,
> : I'm interested.

> : Thanks,
> : -B

I don't know if will help you or not, but The Linux Journal just had an
article on that particular subject.  You might want to check out their
web page.  Maybe it's on there.

Jack
--
*Views expressed do not reflect the Oklahoma Air National Guard,
United States Air Force, or the United States of America...

...So I sat back and collected my thoughts.  Someday
I'll have them all.     - Vlad Taltos