floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

Post by Morris Bernste » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on a brand new thinkpad 770 and I'm
experiencing no end of joy with floppy drive.  I've been trying to
find answers in the various docs, and I'm  now booting with loadlin:
        loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 floppy=thinkpad floppy=0,daring

My goal is to read an old tar archive on a floppy (made on a computer
that has since bit the dust).  The following sequence is typical:

dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
36+0 records in
36+0 records out07:42:57

dd: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

If I do "tar xfv ./image", I recover a couple of files but I don't
know if anything else is on the disk (I have some multi-volume
archives with more relevent data, waiting for things to get
strightened out).

After the first error, any attempt to use the drive gives the device
not configured error.  The only cure is to reboot (and if I wanted to
reboot every hour, I'd have used...).

Is there any way to clear the drive error without rebooting?

Is there anything else I could be doing to recover the data?

Thanks,

Morris
--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
To err is human.
To blame someone else for your mistakes is even more human.

floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

Post by Doug Ritsche » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

We are about to purchase a Thinkpad 770 for one of our users who will run
Linux on it. Have you worked this problem out. And
have you had any other problems with the Thinkpad and Linux. And did you
have any trouble finding a linux video driver for it.

             Thanks

> I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on a brand new thinkpad 770 and I'm
> experiencing no end of joy with floppy drive.  I've been trying to
> find answers in the various docs, and I'm  now booting with loadlin:
>         loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 floppy=thinkpad floppy=0,daring

> My goal is to read an old tar archive on a floppy (made on a computer
> that has since bit the dust).  The following sequence is typical:

> dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
> 36+0 records in
> 36+0 records out07:42:57

> dd: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

> If I do "tar xfv ./image", I recover a couple of files but I don't
> know if anything else is on the disk (I have some multi-volume
> archives with more relevent data, waiting for things to get
> strightened out).

> After the first error, any attempt to use the drive gives the device
> not configured error.  The only cure is to reboot (and if I wanted to
> reboot every hour, I'd have used...).

> Is there any way to clear the drive error without rebooting?

> Is there anything else I could be doing to recover the data?

> Thanks,

> Morris
> --

> Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

> RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
> To err is human.
> To blame someone else for your mistakes is even more human.

floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

Post by Morris Bernste » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[posted & emailed]

Quote:>We are about to purchase a Thinkpad 770 for one of our users who will run
>Linux on it. Have you worked this problem out. And
>have you had any other problems with the Thinkpad and Linux. And did you
>have any trouble finding a linux video driver for it.

I still haven't figured it out, unfortunately, but I'm still working
on it.

Except for the floppy problem, RedHat 5.1 pretty much seens to work
straight out of the box.  The only other problem I've had is
interaction with the power management firmware.  If it suspends, the
box tends to hang on recovery, but I haven't had time to look into it
yet.

No special video driver was required.  X worked with no problems.

Reports are, the internal modem, which uses a proprietary DSP chip,
cannot be made to work under Linux, but I read somewhere that it can
be made to work if you boot Win95 first and then use loadlin to start
Linux.  Something else to do...

Try searching www.linux.org with keyword "thinkpad".

Morris
--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
Rainy days and automatic weapons always get me down.

1. followup: floppy problems on thinkpad 770 (redhat 5.1)

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a help request about problems using
the floppy drive after installing redhat 5.1.  I've since managed to
work around the problem.  Here's the solution: I was able to read some
old tar disks that had been sitting around by booting with the
Slackware 3.5 install disks.

It looks like the problem is a kernel/driver issue in the RedHat
distribution.  Since I have a couple of other kernel problems, it
looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel.  Oh, joy.

Back to lurk mode...

Morris

--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
Giving up on assembly language was the apple in our Garden of Eden:  Languages
whose use squanders machine cycles are sinful.  The LISP machine now permits
LISP programmers to abandon bra and fig-leaf.
                -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982

2. ODM & AIX

3. Need Help: Setup Redhat 5.1 on IBM Thinkpad Model 390

4. less, makedepend

5. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM

6. Ethernet on Linux - Help

7. HELP: RedHat 5.1 Install without Floppies

8. parallel port access in Solaris X86

9. RH 5.1 Thinkpad 560 - install floppy fails

10. to make D-Link DFE 650 work on IBM ThinkPad 1411 under RedHat 5.1

11. ThinkPad 760EL, RedHat 5.1 and Xfree86 3.3.2

12. RedHat 5.1 on the THinkPad 701C

13. Redhat 5.1 installation on a Thinkpad 385ed