change login name

Post by tony » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When I first installed linux. I named it penlux. So when I boot i get
a prompt such as this " pentlux login: " How do I change the "pentlux"
(what is the linux label for this?) part? Also when sending e-mail
using the commandline "mail" utility, how do I specify to "mail", a
specific return email address to use? Right now it is using a default

change "pentlux" to my pop server domain!!!!?)

thanks

change login name

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>When I first installed linux. I named it penlux. So when I boot i get
>a prompt such as this " pentlux login: " How do I change the "pentlux"
>(what is the linux label for this?) part?

This is called the hostname (not so much a Linux term as a
networking/Internet term).

It would have helped if you'd told us which distribution you're using.
In Debian it's in /etc/hostname; in Red Hat I seem to remember it's in
/etc/sysconfig/network, though it may have to be set somewhere else as
well. It'll be in /etc somewhere, though. :)

>Also when sending e-mail using the commandline "mail" utility, how do
>I specify to "mail", a specific return email address to use? Right

>format. (I hope I don't have to change "pentlux" to my pop server
>domain!!!!?)

This is a bit of a complex subject. mail originated at a time where
you could expect any Unix system to also be a mail server visible from
the outside world (simplifying, but you get the general idea). You
might want to set up a mail server like exim which can rewrite

Alternatively, you could use a more sensible mailer than mail! pine,
elm, mutt, and others are popular. I agree it's useful to have
something like mail which can cope with having messages piped into it,
though.

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]
"Ammo is cheap, remember?" - The Internet Oracle

1. Q: Change Login Name

users usually can't change their own login names unless they have root
access to edit the /etc/passwd file. Check with your provider or sys
admin on their policy.

  *  *  *  *  *  "and the breath of the whale is frequently at-
tended with such and insupportable smell, as to bring on a disorder
of the brain."
                                           Ulloa's South America

2. Why should I use qmail?

3. Change login name & deluser?

4. context of keventd

5. About Changing Login Name

6. bugfix nfs kmap_atomic (fwd)

7. Changing login name with admusermod

8. Good Web-based shell programming manual?

9. Q: Change Login Name

10. CHANGING LOGIN NAME

11. Changing login graphic (was Re: Changing the login banner on Solaris 2.5

12. Changing the length of login name

13. Can login name of root be changed?