Can Partition Magic resize ext2 partitions?

Can Partition Magic resize ext2 partitions?

Post by S. L » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

It seems (from the box) that PM is at least ext2-sware, but can it resize
ext2 partitions without losing data?

Stephen

Witty .sig under construction.

Post by Erik Lundeva » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

>It seems (from the box) that PM is at least ext2-sware, but can it resize
>ext2 partitions without losing data?

No, it can only resize FAT, VFAT and HPFS partitions.
I hope they add it in a future version, that would be very nice to have.

--
-Erik Lundevall
Your fault. Core dumped.

Post by Patrick M » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

 > It seems (from the box) that PM is at least ext2-sware, but can it resize
 > ext2 partitions without losing data?

     I purchased PM just a few weeks ago and was informed by their
tech support that it couldn't yet resize ext2 partitions, although
that capability is planned.

pjm

1. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

This is a success story - I didn't think it would work, but it did.  I did a
fairly complex set of operations (shrinking the FAT partition, moving the
extended partition, deleting one swap partition - resizing another one, and
moving/resizing the ext2 [Linux boot] partition), all in one Pmagic session,
and it worked just fine.

And here's the thing that's amazing: I did not have to re-run LILO - the
thing just booted up fine.  This totally amazed me, except for the fact that
this was a "LILO in the partition - booted by some other boot manager in the
MBR", rather than a "LILO in the MBR" setup.  So, it appears, Pmagic is
actually smart enough to fix the LILO setup if it is in the partition that
is being resized/moved.

Have I got this all right?  BTW, I've sort of lost my Pmagic documentation;
though in fact, I never really read it anyway - since this is the kind of
program that really should be self-documenting - which I've always found it
to be (translation: I haven't screwed up yet).

2. WUFTP and SAMBA

3. cannont resize ext2 partiton with partition magic

4. Where Did IP Alias go in 2.2.6 ?? help me

5. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

6. make NFS work with 64KB page-size

7. Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

8. Installation Problems

9. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

10. Resizing partitions with Partition Magic

11. Linux (Ext2) Partitions are now Resizable (Re: Resize partition ?)

12. Partition Magic 4.0 supports ext2 partitions

13. ext2 partition resize & ext2 in boot manager