Linux runs slow on PII400/256MB

Linux runs slow on PII400/256MB

Post by Mark Johnso » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:48:12



I've done the developer installation of Mandrake 7.2 running KDE.  Things
seem to run very slow.  My machine is a Pentium II 400 MHz with 256 MB
RAM.  I'm a first time user of linux.  Should things be running so
slowly?  At work I have the same setup running on a PIII800/256MB and
it's very spunky even over Exceed.   I understand that there is a big
difference between my home machine and my work machine, but I've heard
all these stories about how linux runs well on even anemic systems.  I'm
kind of disappointed with the whole thing.

Netscape 4 and 6 both seem to be total beasts, I guess that is to be
expected.  The newsreaders KRN and Pan seem to be a bit beasts too but to
a lesser extent, is this your experience too?

Even excusing the browsers, just clicking on Desktop Properties seems to
take forever to load.  

I tried the Helix Gnome stuff, but it was so painfully slow that I
reverted back to KDE.

What's the ideal hardware to run a typical developer installation of
Linux? (I did a developer installation because I have to be able to
download the source and make the applications I want to run since
sometimes the plain binaries are not available.)

 
 
 

Linux runs slow on PII400/256MB

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I've done the developer installation of Mandrake 7.2 running KDE.  Things
> seem to run very slow.  My machine is a Pentium II 400 MHz with 256 MB
> RAM.  I'm a first time user of linux.  Should things be running so
> slowly?  At work I have the same setup running on a PIII800/256MB and
> it's very spunky even over Exceed.   I understand that there is a big
> difference between my home machine and my work machine, but I've heard
> all these stories about how linux runs well on even anemic systems.

Is it seeing all of your memory?  (Is it slow because it's swapping?
The easiest test for that is listening for disk activity ...)

Quote:> Netscape 4 and 6 both seem to be total beasts, I guess that is to be
> expected.  The newsreaders KRN and Pan seem to be a bit beasts too but to
> a lesser extent, is this your experience too?

> Even excusing the browsers, just clicking on Desktop Properties seems to
> take forever to load.  

> I tried the Helix Gnome stuff, but it was so painfully slow that I
> reverted back to KDE.

The desktop environments (KDE, Gnome) reportedly consume huge amounts of
memory.  You can use top(1) to see where it's going.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

 
 
 

Linux runs slow on PII400/256MB

Post by Chris L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Check your hdparm, it seems the MDK7.2 has turn OFF the DMA and
READAHEAD settings. They used to be in MDK7.0 at least.

Regards,
Chris



> > I've done the developer installation of Mandrake 7.2 running KDE.  Things
> > seem to run very slow.  My machine is a Pentium II 400 MHz with 256 MB
> > RAM.  I'm a first time user of linux.  Should things be running so
> > slowly?  At work I have the same setup running on a PIII800/256MB and
> > it's very spunky even over Exceed.   I understand that there is a big
> > difference between my home machine and my work machine, but I've heard
> > all these stories about how linux runs well on even anemic systems.

> Is it seeing all of your memory?  (Is it slow because it's swapping?
> The easiest test for that is listening for disk activity ...)

> > Netscape 4 and 6 both seem to be total beasts, I guess that is to be
> > expected.  The newsreaders KRN and Pan seem to be a bit beasts too but to
> > a lesser extent, is this your experience too?

> > Even excusing the browsers, just clicking on Desktop Properties seems to
> > take forever to load.

> > I tried the Helix Gnome stuff, but it was so painfully slow that I
> > reverted back to KDE.

> The desktop environments (KDE, Gnome) reportedly consume huge amounts of
> memory.  You can use top(1) to see where it's going.

> --
> Paul Kimoto
> This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
> hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
> and may be a violation of international copyright law.

 
 
 

1. Help! unrecognized hard drive of ultra66, PII400

My Gateway PII 400 have a Promise add-on card. RH5.2 does not recognized
my hard drive (13.5GB, first partion Win98 2GB, the second for Linux
3GB). After I run boot disk, it always check partiition on my Zip100
drive. I use cat /proc/pci, it did not give much information since the
screen scroll up. I can not stop it. What I see looks like:
   IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1)
        I/O at 0x10a0
Then I use alt-F4 in RH5.2 got the message as follow,

        ide i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
            ide1: BM-DMA at 0x10a8-0x10af
        hdc: ATAPI CDROM drive
        hdd: ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy drive
        ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15
        Partition check:
          hdd 98304 KB, 196608 blocks, 512 sector size
          hdd: hdd4

I am awared that some parameters may need to be passed to kernel at boot
time to overwrite some device. But I don't know exactly which parameters
shout be used. Or it is a problem with the FAT32 partition on Win98? If
I made the Zip drive unavailable at BIOS, the kernel said there is no
devise to generate file system. The hard drive was still ignored. I am
fairly new to this. Please be patient with my question.

Qifa

2. CML2 1-9-13 is available

3. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

4. kernel 2.4.10 CPU load problems

5. Linuxon PII400

6. Hacking Teorical Information

7. RH8 Runs slow - 6 runs fine

8. Linux not picking up mouse

9. Why linux sees only 56/256Mb RAM

10. HELP: Linux (Slackware 3.0.0) runs painfull slow on a 486dx4/100 ISA PC

11. slow running Linux

12. Why Initial telnet process to linux host run very slow???

13. Linux Running Slow