Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by Mike Mun » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

        After multiple attempts on multiple systems trying to install
RH 60 I'm FRUSTRATED!!! :-( Tried 2 different CD burns as well as on 2
seperate systems with same results so I assume it's something I'm
missing here?

 All goes fine untill I get to where it attempts to install boot
options then I get the following error:

=======

An error occured during step "Install bootloader" of the  install.

You may retry that step, return to the previous step in the
install, or see a menu of installation steps,,,,

=======

 I tried to go ahead & also get error when trying to creat a boot
floppy. Can anyone lend a hand here?

 Oh, one of the 2 systems installed Mandrake 5.3 just fine right after
this.

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by Darryl McGe » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm getting the same error. Press Alt-F5 to see if you are getting the
"Can't get a loopback device" error. I'm running a Ppro 200, 128MB RAM,
Adaptec 2940UW with 4 2GB drives and one SCSI CDROM.

What does this loopback device error mean?

Thanks to anyone that can share suggestions.
Darryl

Quote:> After multiple attempts on multiple systems trying to install
> RH 60 I'm FRUSTRATED!!! :-( Tried 2 different CD burns as well as on 2
> seperate systems with same results so I assume it's something I'm
> missing here?

>  All goes fine untill I get to where it attempts to install boot
> options then I get the following error:

> =======

> An error occured during step "Install bootloader" of the  install.

> You may retry that step, return to the previous step in the
> install, or see a menu of installation steps,,,,

> =======

>  I tried to go ahead & also get error when trying to creat a boot
> floppy. Can anyone lend a hand here?

>  Oh, one of the 2 systems installed Mandrake 5.3 just fine right after
> this.

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by John Leopol » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Same error here. System was fine under 5.2 and a recent Rawhide...but three
tries and no joy with 6.0 from ftp.cdrom.com.

> I'm getting the same error. Press Alt-F5 to see if you are getting the
> "Can't get a loopback device" error. I'm running a Ppro 200, 128MB RAM,
> Adaptec 2940UW with 4 2GB drives and one SCSI CDROM.

> What does this loopback device error mean?

> Thanks to anyone that can share suggestions.
> Darryl

> > After multiple attempts on multiple systems trying to install
> > RH 60 I'm FRUSTRATED!!! :-( Tried 2 different CD burns as well as on 2
> > seperate systems with same results so I assume it's something I'm
> > missing here?

> >  All goes fine untill I get to where it attempts to install boot
> > options then I get the following error:

> > =======

> > An error occured during step "Install bootloader" of the  install.

> > You may retry that step, return to the previous step in the
> > install, or see a menu of installation steps,,,,

> > =======

> >  I tried to go ahead & also get error when trying to creat a boot
> > floppy. Can anyone lend a hand here?

> >  Oh, one of the 2 systems installed Mandrake 5.3 just fine right after
> > this.

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by Darryl McGe » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

I gave up on 6.0 and installed Redhat 5.2. Had no problems. Once I had 5.2
configured, I installed RH 6.0 as an upgrade and everything worked as
expected!

I suspect the problem is with the RAM disk that is supposed to be created.
Don't know how its used though.

Darryl

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by Steve Smoog » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Ok the loopback is the "device" that allows Linux to mount things like
files and raw devices in ram as if they were physical disks.

Failure to insmod the loopback occurs mostly when one of the following
isnt correct:

1) Ran out of RAM (check /proc/meminfo)
2) module doesnt match with the kernel being installed
   try ALT-F2
    insmod /modules/loop.o

   and see what error occurs.

  One time I ran into a situation where I kept getting this
  problem... turned out that the boot image was incorrect.

Check the md5sums of the boot image

559c43c36e14b1ea5b903101e2223193  boot.img
213e632bfa7c93b84901a42e53526385  bootnet.img
2f14c1eba2eb8f5bba5bb69758600d68  pcmcia.img
c6a964876785566dac9bab0d8203a11a  rescue.img

bb0b495606246eab0203c56e029231ea  boot.cat

--

SJS

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by John Leopol » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

So have people been successfully pulling off the FTP install from non-Redhat
sites (ie; mirrors)? I have tried from 3 different mirrors (thank god for a
cable modem, and no luck. Next try will be to upgrade from 5.2 instead of
fresh load of 6.0.

Post by David Ript » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

>So have people been successfully pulling off the FTP install from non-Redhat
>sites (ie; mirrors)? I have tried from 3 different mirrors (thank god for a
>cable modem, and no luck. Next try will be to upgrade from 5.2 instead of
>fresh load of 6.0.

The ftp install is too brittle to work very well over the net.  A
broken connection means starting over.  Do you have a second machine
or an extra partition with some space?  Much more reliable to
download then install than to try to do them simultaneously.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

Post by TurkBe » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

>So have people been successfully pulling off the FTP install from non-Redhat
>sites (ie; mirrors)? I have tried from 3 different mirrors (thank god for a
>cable modem, and no luck. Next try will be to upgrade from 5.2 instead of
>fresh load of 6.0.

I was able to use FTP install ( both upgrade and new ) from

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/

I am blessed with a T1 at work, so the entire process took less than 45
minutes...( very non-selective install, by choice )....

It occasionally would have an error, but, when asked to retry, always came
through...

Good Luck...

John Greco

Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

Post by John Leopol » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Thank you very much. This is the first FTP install that worked for me. With
the cable modem clear feed of data was not this issue, but I really am
curious if there are problems with the mirrors at the several sites I tried.
Always the same error in the same place?

But rpmfind worked fantastically. Now I have a completely different
problem....

> >So have people been successfully pulling off the FTP install from
non-Redhat
> >sites (ie; mirrors)? I have tried from 3 different mirrors (thank god for
> >cable modem, and no luck. Next try will be to upgrade from 5.2 instead of
> >fresh load of 6.0.

> I was able to use FTP install ( both upgrade and new ) from

> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/

> I am blessed with a T1 at work, so the entire process took less than 45
> minutes...( very non-selective install, by choice )....

> It occasionally would have an error, but, when asked to retry, always came
> through...

> Good Luck...

> John Greco

1. Error "Install bootloader" RH 5.0 & 6.0

Anyone know why I could not install LILO onto the First sector of boot
partition on my Tecra 780 during initial install?  I have never seen this
error before and have had Linux on my laptop before.  I have tried to delete
all partitions and start over and I still get this error.  I made a bootdisk
so I can boot up my machine, but I would prefer not to boot from floppy.

Mike

2. Apache 1.3.3 CGIs and escaped '/'

3. Red Hat 5.1 install error: "error 2"

4. Running LKM on Familiar Linux iPAQ

5. Red Hat Install - HD problem - "error opening directory"

6. VSCOM PCI Serial Card with devfs

7. Red Hat 5.1 Install and "no valid devices" error

8. Static IP's and MultiHoming

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Netscape "TCP error: No route to host" w/ Red Hat 6.0

11. Red Hat 5.9 and 6.0 "bus error"

12. RH4.0, Error in "Install Bootloader" : Please Help!

13. Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation