RH7.3 & RH7.1 install exits abnormally

Post by Dan » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:41:26

I'v had Red Hat 7.1 and 6.1 working on this machine previously so this has
me dumbfoundered.

after going through the setup 'wizard' the computer will start copying files
after about 8 - 10 minutes the GUI disappears and the text prompt (following
on from 'Loading anaconda' etc.)
says;

install exited abnormally...
sending termination signals
sending kill signals

then it unmounts everything etc.
and says it is safe to reboot the system
this keeps on happening and is severly freaking me out
I've tryed repartitioning and reformating the drive, i've used a tool from
the disk manufacturer to write zeros to the disk and even tryed installing
win98 before Red Hat all to no avail.
been trying with 7.1 and 7.3 Red Hat (all of the disks of 7.3 pass the media
check)
evrything you could wish to know about the system is at
http://www.ebookhouse.com.au/SysReport.htm
i've tryed many different setup options (workstation, server, custom) all
with at least the defaults set.

PLEASE please help if you can, a unix box could proove very helpful to me.
thanx in advance
Dan

Post by Jim Levi » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:26:35

> I'v had Red Hat 7.1 and 6.1 working on this machine previously so this
> has me dumbfoundered.

> after going through the setup 'wizard' the computer will start copying
> files after about 8 - 10 minutes the GUI disappears and the text prompt
> (following on from 'Loading anaconda' etc.) says;

> install exited abnormally...
> sending termination signals
> sending kill signals

> then it unmounts everything etc.
> and says it is safe to reboot the system this keeps on happening and is
> severly freaking me out I've tryed repartitioning and reformating the
> drive, i've used a tool from the disk manufacturer to write zeros to the
> disk and even tryed installing win98 before Red Hat all to no avail.
> been trying with 7.1 and 7.3 Red Hat (all of the disks of 7.3 pass the
> media check)

It could be a problem with the CD, possibly with the drive or the media.
You don't say if the CD's are locally burned or from a boxed set. If the
former, are they on CDR or CDRW media? I've had problems like this with
CDRW media on occasion. Do you have some other system that you could try
the installation on? Or could you swap out the CD drive with another,
even just temporarily for debugging?
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:38:00

> I'v had Red Hat 7.1 and 6.1 working on this machine previously so this has
> me dumbfoundered.

> after going through the setup 'wizard' the computer will start copying
> files after about 8 - 10 minutes the GUI disappears and the text prompt
> (following on from 'Loading anaconda' etc.)
> says;

> install exited abnormally...
> sending termination signals
> sending kill signals

> then it unmounts everything etc.
> and says it is safe to reboot the system
> this keeps on happening and is severly freaking me out
> I've tryed repartitioning and reformating the drive, i've used a tool from
> the disk manufacturer to write zeros to the disk and even tryed installing
> win98 before Red Hat all to no avail.

Do you mean a dual-boot install, or a full install of Win98 followed by a
full install of Linux?

Quote:> been trying with 7.1 and 7.3 Red Hat (all of the disks of 7.3 pass the
> media check)
> evrything you could wish to know about the system is at
> http://www.ebookhouse.com.au/SysReport.htm

The listing is too long for a mortal to read, and the following information
is not in the first 500 lines. What size is your hard drive? Are you using
the entire hard drive for Linux?

Have yo considered upgrading your flash BIOS, as recommended by the analysis
program?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

RH7.3 & RH7.1 install exits abnormally

Post by Duane Smecker » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:21:34

Duane Top posts, BUT DOES NOT CROSS POST, to suggest:

One of the virtual consoles has more information about what
is happening.  When you get to the part where you are expecting
it to happen press Alt-F4 (maybe Control Alt F4, maybe some
other Function key, I forget which) and you will see the messages
about what is happening on the install.  You will probably find
that one of the packages is damaged or the Drive is failing.

Let us know what you find.

--
Duane Smeckert
google for email

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:45:08

> Duane Top posts, BUT DOES NOT CROSS POST, to suggest:

"Duane"? Paul Lutus says, "Watch out for people who refer to themselves in
the third person." :)

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by mjt » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:58:37

> spambots, you should not send email

...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, cute, but it doesnt
work since they use "exclude lists"

1. RH7.1 install fails w/ "operation not permitted" "install exited abnormally"

I found a similar case in this group from May, but the thread devolved
into a discussion about how much swap is necesary and the question
never got answered :)

Anyway, I have a DEC celebris GL 6180 (PPro 180) I inherited from the
office.

It's currently got a 1.2GB IDE disk with NT4.0 on it.  I downloaded
the
RH 7.1 ISO images from linuxiso.org and burned them to CD.  However, I
can't
get the CDROM drive to boot, so I made a boot floppy, which works
fine.

I am attempting to install in text mode, since I don't have a mouse
for this
machine and I only have a half-burned-in 9-inch monochrome IBM VGA
monitor.

Everything seems to go smoothly... the installer finds the CD, fdisk
writes
my partition table to disk... I select the packages I want to install,
then
I get the "Installation to Begin" screen.  When I hit "OK", it dies
horribly:

type read: operation not permitted
pfd: install exited abnormally
sending termination signals... done
sending kill signals... done
disabling swap
unmounting filesystems
/mnt/runtime
/mnt/source umount failed
/dev/pts
/proc
you may safely reboot your system

(I reformatted that for legibility, when the system prints it, it uses
line
feeds but not carriage returns so its all stair-stepped).

Major bummer, and it happens every time... the wierd part is, the NT
boot
loader is still on the MBR and still gets a good deal into the boot
process
(it shows the "1 system processor 48MB of memory" BS before BSOD'ing).

Any clues would be appreciated.

--
paul victor novarese            KF4ZLI
novarese AT novarese DOT net    http://gammatron.weblogger.com

find / -user you -name "*base*" -exec chown us {} \;

2. xlock core dumps

3. While installing RedHat 5.0 : "install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11"

4. PPP works but not with httpd -- Help, Please?

5. Cannot receive mail after upgrading from RH7.0 to RH7.1

6. Redhat's intention to package and support OpenBSD is a bad idea.

7. OK Linux gurus: I upgraded from RH7.7.0 to RH7.2 and SoundStudio is broke....

8. Problems with DHCP

9. RH7.1 over RH7.0

10. upgrade RH7.0 to RH7.1

11. Problem with GnuPG and KMail after RH7.1 to RH7.2 upgrade

12. Is gcc -shared = ld -d (something broke rh7.0 -> rh7.1)

13. RH7.0 -> RH7.1 upgrade kills networking