home directory problem

Post by Robert Pawlowic » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:03:48

I understand that the home dirs are set in /etc/passwd but after I changed
the home directory in teh passwd file for the first time, when logging in it
no longer defaults to the specified directory.  For example I changed the
home directory for the PHP and apache user, www-data, from /var/www, to
/home/rob/www.  Now when I su up to www-data, the cammand line defaults to
/root rather than /home/rob/www unless I cd.
This is a pain in the ass as all files I write to the /root are deleted
every time I restart.
Is there some where else I need to specify the home directory for users so
that when I log in as a particular user it, that session starts in their
directory??
cheers
Rob Pawlowicz

home directory problem

Post by dav.. » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:44:39

> Now when I su up to www-data,

did you used su www-data or su - www-data ?

Davide

home directory problem

Post by Robert Pawlowic » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:11:51

su www-data

> > Now when I su up to www-data,

> did you used su www-data or su - www-data ?

> Davide

home directory problem

Post by Chris Coyl » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:00:35

> su www-data

man su

and stop top-posting.

1. TFTP home directory problems

Somehow the tftp service on my RH 5.2 machine has / as its home directory
instead of /tftpboot.  This means that every time I tftp something from the
server I must prepend /tftpboot/ to the filename instead of just listing the
filename alone.

Does anyone know how to reset or change the home directory definition for
the tftp service on Linux?

-Mark A. Terry

2. librl.so.2 -> where?

3. strange home directory problem in kfm!

4. Setting the sticky bit -- a good idea?

5. automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

6. ld: fatal error : symbols multiply-defined

7. /home and automount maps with many home directory servers

8. arguments for duplicating servers

9. creating user home directories /home/username from /etc/passwd

10. help: won't create home directories in /home

11. home directory=root directory

12. Script for creating a directory under user's home directory