Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM

Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM

Post by Robert Barro » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

In the next couple of days I will be trying to install Linux
(probably Caldera) on my new Gateway P5-120.  It has one of
those troublesome Sanyo Torisan 3disk CD-ROM readers.  I'm
certain that this will cause problems since I'm already stuck
in trying to install OS/2.  If you happen to know of any
special drivers for Linux installation please send me Email.
As a sidebar if anyone knows of driver requirements for OS/2,
NT and Win95 I'd appreciate some info on that too.  Yes,  I'm
trying to load a bunch of Operating Systems on this machine!

Thanks.

Robert Barron

Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM

Post by Bryan Taylo » Sun, 02 Jul 1995 04:00:00

So far, only one of the three pseudo-cd's is recognized, as /dev/hdc (the
lowest drive, f: in dos)
I have been trying to get the others to work, but there is no problem with
recognizing one.

GAT d---(-+) H--- s:--- g- p? au--- a- w+ v(++) C++ US++++$L+++
P++ L++ 3- E--- N++ K- W M-- V-- po--- Y+>++ t+ !5 j++ R G?
tv-- b++ D B !e/e* u+ h--(+) f- r++ !n x?

Post by us009.. » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM
> Date: 30 Jun 1995 22:09:35 GMT

> In the next couple of days I will be trying to install Linux
> (probably Caldera) on my new Gateway P5-120.  It has one of
> those troublesome Sanyo Torisan 3disk CD-ROM readers.  I'm
> certain that this will cause problems since I'm already stuck
> in trying to install OS/2.  If you happen to know of any
> special drivers for Linux installation please send me Email.
> As a sidebar if anyone knows of driver requirements for OS/2,
> NT and Win95 I'd appreciate some info on that too.  Yes,  I'm
> trying to load a bunch of Operating Systems on this machine!

> Thanks.

> Robert Barron

     I just read on some web page that the OS/2 Drivers arent yet finished,
however that may not be true currently. 2 days ago however I installed a 1.2
Gig HD onto my(I like your taste by the way)new P5 120, so that I would have
ample room to run Linux. I purchased a 4CD set from INFOMAGIC. This is my first
time ever running Linux, but from what ive read on the net youll be able to get
just the bottom tray of your 3disk changer to work, so in essence it will be a
normal quad speed cd rom.

   Macheolor Nightshade

   "I NEED MORE POWER, I WANT MORE MEGAHERTZ!!!"

Installing on Gateway w/ Torisan Sanyo CD-ROM

Post by us009.. » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> So far, only one of the three pseudo-cd's is recognized, as /dev/hdc
(the
> lowest drive, f: in dos)
> I have been trying to get the others to work, but there is no problem
with
> recognizing one.

> --

    What commands did you use to get your P5 to recognize that one
drive under linux. I still have been unable to get it to work. Your
help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1. TORiSAN (Sanyo) CD-ROM drive...

Hello,
I have a P100 running RedHat 5.1, with kernel 2.0.34.  I am having a problem
with glint, which is a package management tool for X.  The problem I was
having is that the program would start scanning the CD-ROM for packages,
then the whole program would just close.  The CD-ROM would be fine, and I
could access it later.  I just got an update for glint from the RH web page,
and now it will not show the progress of the package scanning, and the
CD-ROM access light will stay on and I am unable to access the CD-ROM drive
until I either reboot or (obviously) shut down.  Any ideas?  I have a
TORiSAN (Which is the Japanese version of Sanyo, as far as I can tell) 6x
CD-ROM drive.  I am using duplicate discs, but the originals had the same
problem with the closing of the program.  Anyway, I am almost positive the
CD-ROM is set up fine, as I have Win95 on the machine and it works fine, and
used the same CD-ROM to load Linux.  I also checked all of the connections.
All are fine.  Please email me with any ideas you have.

Thanks in advance,
-Aaron

2. SMP monitoring utility?

3. Gateway 3 tray CD Changer: Sanyo/Torisan

4. Helix Code

5. Support for Gateway's Triple bay CD-ROM -Sanyo?

6. NCR 83C8xxx SCSI problems

7. ATAPI CD: Torisan/Sanyo triple tray CD "hdc: media changed ...unknown partition table"

8. citrus -notatla

9. How can I install "Sanyo 4x CD-ROM 3disk" in LINUX?

10. Installing Sanyo 3-Disk 4x IDE CD-ROM

11. NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM (Gateway IDE CD-ROM)

12. Sanyo Torisan 3 Disk CD Drive and Mandrake 6.1