RH5.1 install failure - looks like hardware

RH5.1 install failure - looks like hardware

Post by Peter Kor » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I was running RH5.0 without having any problems ( other than
the glibc complications),  but decided to move on to Red Hat
5.1.  I did the normal boot floppy/CDROM clean install (not
the upgrade), but the upgrade failed during package
installation.

I did an Alt F4 to get the system log.  the log reports:
<4> Adding Swap 104416k swap-space (priority - 1)
<4> Adding Swap 72288k swap-space (priority - 2)
<4> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete
Error}
<4> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {Uncorrectable Error},
LBAsect=6436063, sector=283168
<end-request>: I/O error dev 03:02, sector 283168

Before trying the install I printed out the partition data
from fdisk using both units displays. In one of those
displays I have:

/dev/hda2    6152895   6152895   6570584   208845   83
Linux native

If I am guessing right ( and it is ONLY a guess) and the
table is printing the LBA sectors, then the error occurs
inside the above partition, which is / (root).  It is a
large oversized root partition, 200M. BTW I did not change
any partition sizes during the install, and all formatting
was with check for bad blocks.

The problem is reproducable.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Peter Koren

RH5.1 install failure - looks like hardware

Post by Peter Kor » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have successfully installed RH5.1. I just used dos rawrite
to copy the boot.img file from the CD. So I thought it was a
bad floppy. But when I dd both floppy images up to the hard
drive and compare with cmp, it reports no differences. I
don't know if my hardware or floppy media are marginal.

It works, so what the hell, I'll use it.

Bye,

Pete

Quote:>Hi,

>I was running RH5.0 without having any problems ( other than
>the glibc complications),  but decided to move on to Red Hat
>5.1.  I did the normal boot floppy/CDROM clean install (not
>the upgrade), but the upgrade failed during package
>installation.

>I did an Alt F4 to get the system log.  the log reports:
><4> Adding Swap 104416k swap-space (priority - 1)
><4> Adding Swap 72288k swap-space (priority - 2)
><4> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady Seek Complete
>Error}
><4> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {Uncorrectable Error},
>LBAsect=6436063, sector=283168
><end-request>: I/O error dev 03:02, sector 283168

>Before trying the install I printed out the partition data
>from fdisk using both units displays. In one of those
>displays I have:

>/dev/hda2    6152895   6152895   6570584   208845   83
>Linux native

>If I am guessing right ( and it is ONLY a guess) and the
>table is printing the LBA sectors, then the error occurs
>inside the above partition, which is / (root).  It is a
>large oversized root partition, 200M. BTW I did not change
>any partition sizes during the install, and all formatting
>was with check for bad blocks.

>The problem is reproducable.

>Any Ideas?

>Thanks,

>Peter Koren

1. Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Same machine has no problem attaching to a "share" on my Linux box
when booted under 95 -- but when I reboot into NT, I consistently
get "The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

The smbd is version 1.9.17p4.  All other activity (ftp, telnet,
etc) work between the machines, no problem.  No hosts.allow or
hosts.deny problems.  **And the Linux box can smbmount the NT
machine!**

I was careful to use the same login name and IP address as I did
under 95.  Is there some kind of cookie or other magic going on
that makes Linux/samba think that this isn't the same machine?
Or what?

2. need advice about patching solaris 2.4

3. RH5.1 install failure

4. gcc or make -- seems like Chicken or the Egg

5. RH5.2 boot failure (mid-install)

6. Finding RAM Size on RS6000

7. RH5.0: LILO install failure

8. bootpd for Solaris 2.3

9. RH5 Install Boot Loader Failure

10. Mount Failure on RH5.2 Install

11. RH5.2 HD Install Failure

12. RH5.0: SCSI-FutureDomain install failure

13. newbie can't install rh5, HD failure