Strange problem with LILO

Post by Daniel Tr » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I just installed Linux (slackware 2.3.0) on a Dell Optiplex 590 XM.
Installation went through smoothly, I choose to install LILO on the MBR of the
primary drive (DOS partition).  When the system boot up, I can see LILO
without the colon - i tried to type DOS to boot up to DOS but I can't.
Anybody knows what's going on here?..

Thanks

Strange problem with LILO

Post by Daniel Tr » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Strange problem with LILO
>Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:36:33 GMT
>I just installed Linux (slackware 2.3.0) on a Dell Optiplex 590 XM.
>Installation went through smoothly, I choose to install LILO on the MBR of the
>primary drive (DOS partition).  When the system boot up, I can see LILO
>without the colon - i tried to type DOS to boot up to DOS but I can't.
>Anybody knows what's going on here?..
>Thanks

A person pointed out by holding down the shift key - you can see the colon
after LILO.

Thanks

Strange problem with LILO

Post by David Goldschmi » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

    Daniel> I just installed Linux (slackware 2.3.0) on a Dell Optiplex 590
    Daniel> XM.  Installation went through smoothly, I choose to install LILO
    Daniel> on the MBR of the primary drive (DOS partition).  When the system
    Daniel> boot up, I can see LILO without the colon - i tried to type DOS to
    Daniel> boot up to DOS but I can't.  Anybody knows what's going on here?..

When you see "LILO", hit the left shift key.

1. strange problems with LILO

Yeah, this is really strange...

I used to have my linux system on my /dev/hda disk, but then I bought a 30
MB disk and moved the system over to that one. However, the old disk is
still the /dev/hda one, which means that my system is now on /dev/hdb...

Anyway... I made some changes to my lilo.conf and run "/sbin/lilo", however,
when rebooting, I get "LIL", and then the screen is cleared, with a cursor at t
he bottom of the screen (unable to type)...

the strange part, is that if I boot using the old system.. (I haven't
removed the stuff from the old disk YET), and write back the old setting, it
works like it should... (yeah... the root disk is set to /dev/hdb1 in both
cases).

on the new system *all* my partitions are ReiserFS ones, and I'm using LILO
version 21.6, which handles ReiserFS boot disks...

here are two VERY important lines.... (I didn't include the rest of the lilo)

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb1

anyway... with boot & root set to this in my old system, running lilo
installs a functional LILO, however doing the same on my new one, installs a
NON working LILO (as I told earlier)..

anyway... the rest of the file is same (since I just moved the whole system
over to the new disk/partitions)..

anyone who knows what might be wrong here??

thank you *very* much!

--
---
Rune Elvemo     ---     Octagon / Digital Minds

http://home.c2i.net/elvemo

2. DiskSuite with Solaris 8/SPARC and EIDE drives

3. Strange problem with LILO (screen full of 01's)

4. Compilation error in VSPASS3

5. Strange problem with LILO Delay

6. Newbie: DHCP and Static IPs together?

7. Strange problem with LILO

8. hardware information??

9. strange problem with lilo

10. Strange LILO Problem (SLS 1.03)

11. Strange Lilo "LI" problems

12. strange LILO problem

13. HELP !!!!!!!!! Very strange problem with BIOS and LILO !!!!!