Getting Left-Alt key to work in Emacs

Post by Rajesh Radhakrishna » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:59:39

Hi,

I am running Mandrake-8.0 and for some odd reason my Left-Alt  key
doesn't respond and neither does the Left windows key. However the
Right-Alt/Windows key  work. Its very annoying for me to use the Esc key
as the Meta key...

Any ideas on using xmodmap or emacs key bindings etc for a windows
keyboard.

Thanks
Rajesh

Post by Michal Dobaczewsk » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:02:36

> Hi,

> I am running Mandrake-8.0 and for some odd reason my Left-Alt  key
> doesn't respond and neither does the Left windows key. However the
> Right-Alt/Windows key  work. Its very annoying for me to use the Esc key
> as the Meta key...

> Any ideas on using xmodmap or emacs key bindings etc for a windows
> keyboard.

> Thanks
> Rajesh

Hi,

I just accidentally run into a script called: Mod_Meta_L_Disable located in
/etc/X11/xinit.d under MDK8. I'am not sure what it does, but it may be run
on startup. Maybe this will help you.

Michal.

Getting Left-Alt key to work in Emacs

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:53:17

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:59:39 -0400, Rajesh Radhakrishnan

>Hi,

>I am running Mandrake-8.0 and for some odd reason my Left-Alt  key
>doesn't respond and neither does the Left windows key. However the
>Right-Alt/Windows key  work. Its very annoying for me to use the Esc key
>as the Meta key...

>Any ideas on using xmodmap or emacs key bindings etc for a windows
>keyboard.

>Thanks
>Rajesh

Left-Alt-something
C-h l
will show you what you typed (last 100 characters).
Then you can bind the key.

1. Netscape and ALT+Left,ALT+Right keys

        I am using Netscape 1.0 with XFree86 3.1 on Linux 1.1.59. For some
reason the ALT+Left and ALT+Right keys do nothing instead of executing the
Back and Forward functions. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this ?

Cheers,
Neil

--
Neil Lovely                             |

South East Queensland Electricity Board | Phone  : +61 7 223 4256
GPO Box 1461  Brisbane Q 4001 Australia | Fax    : +61 7 221 7556

2. Accessing a physical location in Unix

3. Only left alt key working in bash

4. Trident TVGA9400CXi & ViewSonic 15

5. Alt key not working in Emacs in Mandrake 8.0

6. FREE $99.00 GIFT

7. meta/alt key doesn't work from remotely launched emacs

8. RS/6K's in NL

9. How to get right Alt key working in console Emacs

10. making ALT key combinations work in emacs on Redhat 6.1

11. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

12. Getting left function keys to work under X

13. XFree86 4.1 upgrade: left ALT key no longer META1???