root password changed, need help

Post by Bulent Sarin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

somebody has changed root password and i cant get into my linux box on
i386
debian version

heeeeelp please

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,

> somebody has changed root password and i cant get into my linux box on
> i386
> debian version

at the lilo bootprompt try:
  linux 1
if that fails:
  linux root=/bin/sh
else use a boot/root flop and remove the newly created root password
from the passwd file

Eric

root password changed, need help

Post by Bulent Sarin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i finally fixed it

i had trouble with e2fsck and read-only system

i begin really to hate computers nomatter OS :)

thanx for the help

Post by Colin Wats » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:49:08

>> somebody has changed root password and i cant get into my linux box on
>> i386
>> debian version

>at the lilo bootprompt try:
>  linux 1
>if that fails:
>  linux root=/bin/sh

That should be 'linux init=/bin/sh', I think. The root= parameter
specifies the root device.

Quote:>else use a boot/root flop and remove the newly created root password
>from the passwd file

Note that Debian usually uses /etc/shadow, so you'll need to change that
instead.

--

"But in your dreams, whatever they be / Dream a little dream of me."

Post by Eric » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:21:59

> >> somebody has changed root password and i cant get into my linux box on
> >> i386
> >> debian version

> >at the lilo bootprompt try:
> >  linux 1
> >if that fails:
> >  linux root=/bin/sh

> That should be 'linux init=/bin/sh', I think. The root= parameter
> specifies the root device.

Ofcourse, you're right

Eric

root password changed, need help

Post by Cliff Sarginso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Bulent Sarinc posited:

Quote:> i finally fixed it

> i had trouble with e2fsck and read-only system

> i begin really to hate computers nomatter OS :)

Maybe you should be a bit fussier who let know your root password.

--
no *SPAM if you email me :)