Compaq Laptop Modem

Post by Bob Sul » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all-
        I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
(it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

Compaq Laptop Modem

Post by James Le » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

: Hi all-
:       I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
: integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
: (it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
: it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
: Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

could be a winmodem.

Compaq Laptop Modem

Post by postmas.. » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all-
>    I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
> integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
> (it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
> it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
> Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

This is a so called WinModem. If you would like to use a modem and get internet
access, buy a PCMCIA modem that supports also Dos programs. If it does, it will
work under Linux. I had the same problem, bought a Wysecom 56k modem and now
it's ok.

... Shh! Be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wuntime errors!