Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat & General Slackware info

Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat & General Slackware info

Post by Shawn Everet » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a reasonably painless metheod
for upgrading from Slackware 3.3 to Red Hat 5.0?  Installing the rpm's
from the net.  Anyone can do a makefs and reinstall using RH. :)

Also I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any sites that
discuss Slackware.  Specifically bugs in the recent distributions.  If
anyone can suggest something I'd apreciate it.

Shawn

Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat & General Slackware info

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a reasonably painless metheod
>for upgrading from Slackware 3.3 to Red Hat 5.0?  Installing the rpm's
>from the net.  Anyone can do a makefs and reinstall using RH. :)

I suspect that upgrading Slackware 3.3 to Red Hat 5.0 will be a fairly
difficult task, as the two use somewhat different directory structures
and (from what I've heard) vastly different startup sequences.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

1. Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

I just purchased the Red Hat Colgate Release and the LSP TRI-Linux
cd-rom set with Slackware, Debian, and Redhat on it.  Couple of
questions.

1.  We have two linux machines that are running kernel 1.2.8 (slackware
2.3) that are doing some things such as (DNS, WWW, Email).  Is is better
to upgrade these to the new slackware withour reinstalling (if it is
possible) or

2.  If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to get to a new
kernal using one of the three.  I don't care which one, unless someone
can give me a good reason to choose.

I guess what I am asking is, what is the easiest way to get from A to B
without major reinstalls and reconfigs.  In case you are wondering, I
bought all three hoping that one would give me a simple upgrade path.

MarkS

2. RS6000 named

3. Upgrading from Slackware 8.0 to Slackware 8.1

4. S3 and presario

5. Compile on Slackware, runs on Slackware, crashes on RedHat

6. No drive in the library

7. Slackware 1.1.0 Xconfig.1M & Xfree86 Warnings (Was Slackware 1.1.0 is good!)

8. PCI SCSI Controller by IBM

9. slackware to redhat upgrade?

10. Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat

11. Subject: Upgrading from Slackware (a.out) to RedHat (ELF) - HOW??

12. Upgrading: Which to choose Redhat, Debnian or Slackware

13. Slackware & Linux 2.2.2: Upgrade or reinstall