RH7.0: "Unavailable Package" Message When Trying to Install Telnet Server

RH7.0: "Unavailable Package" Message When Trying to Install Telnet Server

Post by Meron Lavi » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 00:14:58

I installed RH7.0 on my PC as a workstation consfiguration (no other OS on
it). I installed directly from the 1st CD (I was never prompted for the
second CD in the installation process).

Now,  when I want to add a Telnet server via linuxonf (using the linuxconf
pseudo-graphic mode), I get an error mesage saying that:
"We can't installed [sic] the package(s) because they require resources from
un-available packages".

The list includes:
rpmlib(CompressFileNames)
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix)

How can I tell which packages are missing? Where can I get them?

TIA,
--
Meron Lavie
www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

NOTE: THERE ARE NO NUMBERS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS HOST NAME: ANTI-SPAM!

RH7.0: "Unavailable Package" Message When Trying to Install Telnet Server

Post by Meron Lavi » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 02:24:10

After further investigation, I see that any attempt to add _any_ package
gives me this error message.

What am I doing wrong?

--

Post by Mark Bratch » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 02:32:34

>After further investigation, I see that any attempt to add _any_ package
>gives me this error message.

>What am I doing wrong?

>--
>Meron Lavie
>www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

>NOTE: THERE ARE NO NUMBERS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS HOST NAME: ANTI-SPAM!

>> I installed RH7.0 on my PC as a workstation consfiguration (no other OS on
>> it). I installed directly from the 1st CD (I was never prompted for the
>> second CD in the installation process).

>> Now,  when I want to add a Telnet server via linuxonf (using the linuxconf
>> pseudo-graphic mode), I get an error mesage saying that:
>> "We can't installed [sic] the package(s) because they require resources
>from
>> un-available packages".

>> The list includes:
>> rpmlib(CompressFileNames)
>> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix)

>> How can I tell which packages are missing? Where can I get them?

>> TIA,
>> --
>> Meron Lavie
>> www.redmatch.com - World's Largest Hi-Tech Salary Site

>> NOTE: THERE ARE NO NUMBERS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS HOST NAME: ANTI-SPAM!

Sounds like perhaps rpm did not install proplery (?)

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove _UNSPAM from my email address

RH7.0: "Unavailable Package" Message When Trying to Install Telnet Server

Post by Meron Lavi » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:03:58

Yet another comment: Using the rpm line command (instead of doing it through
KDE or the pseudo-graphic linuxconf utility) succeeds. What's the story?

--

Post by John Got » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:33:34

>Yet another comment: Using the rpm line command (instead of doing it through
>KDE or the pseudo-graphic linuxconf utility) succeeds. What's the story?

File a bug report with bugzilla.

1. RH7.1 install fails w/ "operation not permitted" "install exited abnormally"

I found a similar case in this group from May, but the thread devolved
into a discussion about how much swap is necesary and the question
never got answered :)

Anyway, I have a DEC celebris GL 6180 (PPro 180) I inherited from the
office.

It's currently got a 1.2GB IDE disk with NT4.0 on it.  I downloaded
the
RH 7.1 ISO images from linuxiso.org and burned them to CD.  However, I
can't
get the CDROM drive to boot, so I made a boot floppy, which works
fine.

I am attempting to install in text mode, since I don't have a mouse
for this
machine and I only have a half-burned-in 9-inch monochrome IBM VGA
monitor.

Everything seems to go smoothly... the installer finds the CD, fdisk
writes
my partition table to disk... I select the packages I want to install,
then
I get the "Installation to Begin" screen.  When I hit "OK", it dies
horribly:

type read: operation not permitted
pfd: install exited abnormally
sending termination signals... done
sending kill signals... done
disabling swap
unmounting filesystems
/mnt/runtime
/mnt/source umount failed
/dev/pts
/proc
you may safely reboot your system

(I reformatted that for legibility, when the system prints it, it uses
line
feeds but not carriage returns so its all stair-stepped).

Major bummer, and it happens every time... the wierd part is, the NT
boot
loader is still on the MBR and still gets a good deal into the boot
process
(it shows the "1 system processor 48MB of memory" BS before BSOD'ing).

Any clues would be appreciated.

--
paul victor novarese            KF4ZLI
novarese AT novarese DOT net    http://gammatron.weblogger.com

find / -user you -name "*base*" -exec chown us {} \;

2. Scientific program under linux

3. "Disconneted from server" when I try to telnet to my new linux install?

4. kdm and x problem

6. Bug in scandir?

7. RH7.1 install hangs at "Package Selection Screen"

8. ZModem for Digital Unix on Alpha

9. differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"

10. FW: "PIPE BROKEN" & "RESOURCE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"

12. Solaris 7, patchadd: "One or more packages not installed" message

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...