RedHat 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade woes

Post by Ted William » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

        While attempting to upgrade my 5.1 box to 5.2 of RedHat, the
Installation/Upgrade program consistently dies after identifying the currently
installed packages and informing me that changes to files will be logged.  It
presents a dialog box stating that it cannot rebuild the rpm database, and
alludes that I may be out of disk space.  I am using 1.1 gigs of a 4.3 gig drive

        In my attempts to rectify this I used the 5.1 tools to both query and rebuild
the database - no problems.  Per the reccomendations in the 5.2 faqs I rpm'd rpm
to the version included in 5.2, again both queried and rebuilt the rpm database
and still get the same results.  In additional testing I have used the newly
installed RPM to remove, update, and install new packages on 5.1 install without
error or warning.

        Has anyone run across the same or similar problem and know of a solution?  Does
anyone know the sequence of events in the installation program so that I could
possibly whipup a quick little perl script to mimic these actions and upgrade
that way?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions or ideas

Ted Williams

1. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

I'm trying to upgrade to redhat 5.2 via cdrom.

I boot from the CD, and choose the upgrade option. After flashing a
'second stage install' (or somthing similar) message in the lower
right of the screen, it goes looking for installed packages. The disk
spins for 30 seconds and then I get an error message that says:

  mount: no such file or directory

and there's an OK button, which of course i have to accept. i then
immediately get another error, which says 'rpm database not found' (or
similar).

then there's no way out. i can't go back and the advanced menu option
just gives me a blue screen that sits there. i've tried rebuilding my
rpm database (this seems to succeed - at least it exits silently), but
i just get the same messages again.

can anyone shed any light on this? what's it trying to mount, and
where? i have a /mnt that looks fine, and i'd have thought my disk was
already mounted seeing as it has gone looking for my existing packages
already, etc.

thanks,

2. Linux installation problems

3. redhat 5.1->5.2 upgrade over internet

4. eclipse online help is missing javadoc

5. Redhat 5.2 -> 6.0 NFS upgrade woes

6. How to clean up directories

7. Question: RH 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade mail problem.

8. Request for Timezone information

9. How to print w/StarOffice 5.1 and RedHat 5.2 upgraded to kernel 2.2.x?

10. Upgrading RedHat 5.1 to 5.2

11. RedHat 5.1 to 5.2 upgrade?

12. RedHat 5.1 -> 5.2 vs. "md" software RAID

13. redhat 5.1 -> 5.2 problem