printing setup WITHOUT printtool

Post by Rob Baxt » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:07:29

Sure would be nice to get my hands on a howto to setup my HP LaserJet
IIIP without using the printtool utility.  I can not run X on this
system - but it would make a perfect little print server.  Anyone know
where I might get my hands on such documentation?

Thanks,

Rob

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:50:58

> Sure would be nice to get my hands on a howto to setup my HP LaserJet
> IIIP without using the printtool utility.  I can not run X on this
> system - but it would make a perfect little print server.  Anyone know
> where I might get my hands on such documentation?

> Thanks,

> Rob

Start here.  The parallel device in Linux is /dev/lp0 instead of /dev/lpa0.

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-print.html#AEN1231

Post by Rob Ristro » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:31:03

Rob> Sure would be nice to get my hands on a howto to setup my HP
Rob> LaserJet IIIP without using the printtool utility.  I can not run
Rob> X on this system - but it would make a perfect little print
Rob> server.  Anyone know where I might get my hands on such
Rob> documentation?
Rob>
Rob> Thanks,
Rob>
Rob> Rob

If the "P" in "IIIP" means it is the postscript version, then you
shouldn't have much problem.  Here are a few links:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=86176
http://hp.sourceforge.net/

The last time I had to set up a printer on a non-X machine, which was
quite a while ago, I just used printtool on another machine to
generate the right files, and then copied them over.  If you have
access to another linux machine then that might be an option for you.

If the machine is on a network, then perhaps you can connect to it
from a machine running an X server and still run printtool.

Finally, perhaps asking in the appropriate newsgroup, you could get
someone else with the same printer to give you there /etc/printcap
file and any others you might need.

--Rob

1. RH 6.0 - Printing not working - seems to setup fine in PRINTTOOL though

I've installed RH 6.0 and used PRINTTOOL to setup the printer, an HP
DeskJet.  When I try to print though (even the ASCII test page), nothing
happens.  It's like it's not really even trying to send anything to the
printer.

When I setup the printer in PRINTTOOL, it detects my parallel port as lp0.
Anything I can try to see what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Larry

2. Display Problem...help?!!

3. printtool without X, or perhaps samba?

4. os2win

5. savecore and vxvm does not work ????

6. Setup a print Queue on solaris 7 without jetadmin

7. ext2 file system corruption - 99.13, and auto-clean

8. help printtool setup problem

9. RedHat Linux v6.2 Printtool doesn't print red color...

10. Installing print filters in RedHat's Printtool

11. redhat remote printing - printtool

12. low print quality with epson stylus 740i and printtool