SO4.0 & RH Linux 5.0 help!

Post by Jaime Smit » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi guys.. Just installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 in my computer.. Everything
works fine, except that now when I'm trying to install Star Office 4.0 I
get an error as:
Line 1: Syntax error at token 'I' expected declarator:  then it gives me
another message as Script error. I have installed the Libc-5.4.44 as per
instructions the .38 didn't work.  Anyone who has gotten the same error,
and has found a way out..can help me.. greatly appreciated...
New Linux user - Past WIN NT....
Thanks.
JS

SO4.0 & RH Linux 5.0 help!

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Hi guys.. Just installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 in my computer.. Everything
>works fine, except that now when I'm trying to install Star Office 4.0
>I get an error as:

Try using the procedure outlined here:

  http://www.waldherr.org/soffice4.shtml

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

SO4.0 & RH Linux 5.0 help!

Post by Yoav Cohen-Siva » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi guys.. Just installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 in my computer.. Everything
> works fine, except that now when I'm trying to install Star Office 4.0 I
> get an error as:
> Line 1: Syntax error at token 'I' expected declarator:  then it gives me
> another message as Script error. I have installed the Libc-5.4.44 as per
> instructions the .38 didn't work.  Anyone who has gotten the same error,
> and has found a way out..can help me.. greatly appreciated...
> New Linux user - Past WIN NT....
> Thanks.
> JS

 Jaime,
This usually means you didn't get the libc installation quite right.
Make sure you have in your /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib directory a file
called libc-5.4.44 and that it is not a symlink: just do a ls -F in that
directory and check that the filename doesn't have any suffix added,

for viewing, vi for editing). The very _first_ line should be
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib. Once that is set make sure you are root (you
can use the commnand su to become root) and then run the ldconfig
program. It'll take care of the rest.

        HTH, and welcome to Linux,
        Yoav

1. HELP: Boot & More than 528Meg in RH Linux 5.0?

Hello.

How are you?

I have a small problem.  I am a newbie to Linux, although I have had 5
years experience with SunOS Unix.  I have read the FAQ's, and the
mini-docs but I can't find a solution to this problem.  I am keen to get
Linux running - I love Unix.

I have a 486DX-33 with an old AMI BIOS that doesn't understand LBA.  I
have a IDE 1.2Meg hard disk in my computer.  There are no SCSI HD's in
my PC.

When I ran Windows 95 a week ago, the only way for Windows to see more
than 528 Meg was to run it with a pre-OS loader called "Disk Manager
v9.0" by Ontrack Systems, Inc. in the USA.  This fooled the BIOS by
giving it a false HD geometry.

I have now wiped Windows 95 off my computer, and am ready to run Red-Hat
Linux 5.0.  This is what I did:

1)      I low-level formatted the HD.  I have done this before; I can
assure
you that my hard-disk is working 100% right now.
2)      I turned on the PC.
3)      I booted off a Win 95 system disk, and set up Disk Manager.
4)      The Blue "Disk Manager" banner came on.  It told me to insert
the
first OS disk I wanted to set up.
5)      I put the Red Hat Linux 5.0 boot disk in.
6)      The set up ran off the CDROM, I chose some options, and then ran
Disk
Druid.
7)      I deleted all the partitions that Disk Manager had created -
"DOS16->32".
8)      I created 2 partitions only - Linux-native "/" and "Swap space".
They were both 1 meg, but I also selected "Expandable" (I think that's
what it was called, or "Auto-adjustable" or something like that).
9)      Selected a few other options, the install finished copying and
asked
me to reboot. I rebooted.
10)     The blue Disk Manager banner came up and asked me to insert the
first disk just as in (4) above.  It's as if none of the OS was
installed on the HD, or else, it wasn't marked startable!

My questions:

1)      Why doesn't Linux boot?

2)      In order to see more than 528Meg with no BIOS-LBA support, is it
vital to run "Disk Manager"?  Or does Linux LILO have built-in "Disk
Manager"-type support written into it?

3)      If I get rid of Disk Manager, is there another program for me to
use
that will allow me to see more than 528 Meg?  Is it free?  Is it written
for a Quantum Fireball 1.2meg HD?

4)      If I don't delete the partition that Disk Manager creates
("DOS16->32"), how will I get "/" to become Linux native?

5)      Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your assistance!

Alex Portnoy

2. 2 addresses for SMC Ultra

3. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

4. Backup recommendation methods...

5. compiling apache w/ glibc6 && RH 5.0

6. TERM Settings in Exceed

7. TclTk 8.0 & C++ (g++) shared library w/stream I/O & RH 5.0 == seg fault...

8. RedHat 4.2 and IBM.net

9. Need help determining best chipsets to use for Linux RH 5.0

10. HELP! Linux RH 5.0 and Pentium II

11. Help me get started with JAVA on linux (RH 5.0)

12. Help! Linux RH 5.0 DHCP on Cable Modem

13. HELP! Linux RH 5.0 and Pentium II