Getting Rid of LILO

Post by Daniel Cade Bigl » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    LILO writes to your Master Boot Record.  I have another boot
>manager that I want to try but I can not uninstall LILO.  How can I
>re-write my MBR?

(still one of the most frequently asked questions)
under DOS do a FDISK /MBR
uder OS/2 do a FDISK /NEWMBR

HTH,

Cade

Getting Rid of LILO

Post by Shaya Pott » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

|>   LILO writes to your Master Boot Record.  I have another boot
|> manager that I want to try but I can not uninstall LILO.  How can I
|> re-write my MBR?

try fdisk /mbr. this worked for me.

Shaya Potter

1. Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

I was experimenting recently with Linux (redhat 6.1 install), and decided
to create a worst-case scenario, helping me decide whether lilo is
adequate for my needs or not.

I setup 2 masters on the two IDE channels, disk 1, win98, disk 2 Linux.
Lilo installed on disk one and pops up and I can select either or, great.

My problem is, assuming the Linux partition crashes for conversational
purposes, or I decide for some reason to physically remove the Linux HD, I
am unable to boot from the win98 disk.  All the data is there, directory
structure, etc etc, but it won't boot, repeats the came character, or
perhaps it's the same two.

In an attempt to recover this experimental windows 98 disk, I first
thought that I could just re "sys" it, but to no avail.  I also restored
track 0 using my EZ drive utilities, but to no avail.  I also tried ez
drive's boot manager, well, it worked in the since, EZ drive pops up, then
craps out at the same point in boot.

My Question is this:  Given that under these conditions I have NO access
to the Linux partition, what can I the user do to restore the proper boot
tracks to disk 1.  Given that lilo seems to bugger up more then just track
0.  Dos layer solution preferred as in my experimental scenario, I have NO
access to the Linux partition, so we will assume that the HD it was
original installed to is missing, destroyed, smashed, and no immediate
access to a spare.

(I do know I can get into 98 though a boot disk, or resolve the issue with
another disk with a new boot strap)

thanks

matt

2. FreeBSD on Tyan S1854 (Trinity 400) motherboard?

3. Getting rid of LILO

4. Changing res and depth on the fly

5. Getting Rid Of LILO

6. Installing RedHat 4.2 on a SPARC Voyager

7. Getting rid of LILO boot

8. 8mm Tape Archives

9. getting rid of LILO??

10. Getting rid of lilo - any more suggestions?

11. Getting rid of LILO

12. Getting rid of LILO header on boot sector

13. Getting rid of LILO boot menu