How do you remove LILO?

Post by sbrit.. » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi fellow Linuxites!

I recently had to remove Linux from my old 486 (upgraded to a
Pentium) by installing MS-DOS. Now my problem is whenever I
boot up the machine it boots up LILO.

I'm sure that I need to perform an FDISK command, but I can't figure
out which one that I need to use.

Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to donate my 486 to a
group that only knows DOS and Windows. Otherwise I would keep it
on :-)

Best Regards,

Steve Britton

How do you remove LILO?

Post by Michael » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

try fdisk /mbr in DOS

: Hi fellow Linuxites!

: I recently had to remove Linux from my old 486 (upgraded to a
: Pentium) by installing MS-DOS. Now my problem is whenever I
: boot up the machine it boots up LILO.

: I'm sure that I need to perform an FDISK command, but I can't figure
: out which one that I need to use.

: Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to donate my 486 to a
: group that only knows DOS and Windows. Otherwise I would keep it
: on :-)

: Best Regards,

: Steve Britton

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ngs            - My official no-fun page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng              - My intended-to-be fun page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/anime.html - My anime page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/smoon.html - My SailorMoon page

How do you remove LILO?

Post by Bart De Schepp » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I recently had to remove Linux from my old 486 (upgraded to a
: Pentium) by installing MS-DOS. Now my problem is whenever I
: boot up the machine it boots up LILO.

: I'm sure that I need to perform an FDISK command, but I can't figure
: out which one that I need to use.

I don't know for sure how to remove lilo,
but in answer to your second question:
you'll need the fdisk command from MS-DOS.

--
Bart DS.

+-----------------------------+----------------------------------+

| University of Ghent         |                                  |
| Labo of Comm. Engineering   | tel +32 (0)9 264 34 26           |
| SMACS Research Group        |                                  |
| Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, | fax +32 (0)9 264 42 95           |
| B-9000 Gent,   BELGIUM      |                                  |
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------+

           ... and God spoke `there should be Linux',
          and there was Linux. (Genesis, chapter 1bis)

How do you remove LILO?

Post by James Youngm » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>try fdisk /mbr in DOS

Nope, it's fdisk /MBR.  The switch is undocumented and (stupidly IMHO)
*****case-sensitive*****.

How do you remove LILO?

Post by Martin Jenkin » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently had to remove Linux from my old 486 (upgraded to a
> Pentium) by installing MS-DOS. Now my problem is whenever I
> boot up the machine it boots up LILO.

> I'm sure that I need to perform an FDISK command, but I can't figure
> out which one that I need to use.

I believe it's "fdisk /MBR". I haven't actually tried this though.

Martin

How do you remove LILO?

Post by mell » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> I recently had to remove Linux from my old 486 (upgraded to a
>> Pentium) by installing MS-DOS. Now my problem is whenever I
>> boot up the machine it boots up LILO.

>> I'm sure that I need to perform an FDISK command, but I can't figure
>> out which one that I need to use.

>I believe it's "fdisk /MBR". I haven't actually tried this though.

Also lilo -u.  This should replace the sector from the master boot
record lilo saved when it was installed.  If it complains, then do
lilo -U to force it.  If *that* doesn't work, you have fdisk /mbr
to fall back on. :)
Quote:

>Martin

How do you remove LILO?

Post by Juan Molina » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I believe it's "fdisk /MBR". I haven't actually tried this though.

        That will work fine.  LILO resides in the "master boot record"
        of the device, which is accessed by the BIOS prior to any
        further OS-execution.

        Something else that will work equally as well is installing
        Windows 95...  Those clever folk at Microsoft wrote the setup
        program so it slicks out the MBR to ensure smooth booting for
        the new OS.

--
____   Juan  G.  Molinari   T6C3(0)L3s h-(hb+) d-- a w+ c- y+ e g f t k+ s+ q-

 \/  "The Internet, of course, is more than just a place to find pictures
        of people having sex with dogs."  -- Time Magazine, 3 July 1995

How do you remove LILO?

Post by CEVHER DOGA » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have used a lot of things to recover my DOS partition
using many advices. One of them also was to try fdisk /mbr
from DOS but that didn't remove lilo.

The files are there but none of the are accessible in C:\ whereas
D:\ is fine. On the other hand Linux could not mount the msdos partition
because of (I believe) the wrong partition table for dos.

I would also be very interested in common FAQ & suggestions (howTos) on
LI- or LIL-  problems as somebody has pointed out earlier. Could you post

THX-

Cveher

How do you remove LILO?

Post by Martin Jenkin » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> : I believe it's "fdisk /MBR". I haven't actually tried this though.

>       That will work fine.  LILO resides in the "master boot record"
>       of the device, which is accessed by the BIOS prior to any
>       further OS-execution.

>       Something else that will work equally as well is installing
>       Windows 95...  Those clever folk at Microsoft wrote the setup
>       program so it slicks out the MBR to ensure smooth booting for
>       the new OS.

> --
> ____   Juan  G.  Molinari   T6C3(0)L3s h-(hb+) d-- a w+ c- y+ e g f t
> k+ s+ q-

>  \/  "The Internet, of course, is more than just a place to find
> pictures
>       of people having sex with dogs."  -- Time Magazine, 3 July 1995

I forgot that one. Removing '95 fixed it (and a few other things). :-)

Martin

1. Formating dos partition for Linux and removing LILO

I'm going to turn my dos partition into a Linux partition.  I want to
have Linux boot directly now, how do I do this?  Do I remove LILO?

How do I make it as a standard Linux install without a duel boot that
goes right into Linux?

I was thinking going into /etc/lilo.conf and removing the second option
and the time delay, but I don't want to do it where it's a hack or
somthing.

Thanks,
Warren Bell
--
####### Remove ERASE to reply #######

2. Dump a `top` to an unused terminal

3. Boot problems: removing LILO using DOS

4. mail.local.c, Solaris version

5. Removing LILO via DOS

6. Iptables will ! route packets.

7. removing LILO and returning to DOS

8. UID issue

9. How do I remove LILO after ptting DOS back on my machine

10. Help Needed: Remove the lilo in DOS.

11. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

12. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?

13. Lilo Help: How do I default Lilo to Dos Partition?