Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 05:08:22

So let's see:
lpr-0.50-7mdki586.rpm
cups-1.1.4-3mdki586.rpm
cups-drivers-0.3.6-30mdki586.rpm
samba-2.0.7-18mdki586.rpm
samba-client-18mdki586.rpm
samba-common-18mdki586.rpm
installed ( Mandrake 7.2 ).
I have a printer installed on another Linux box ( Mandrake 7.1 ).
The printer is accessible from an NT box ( but I have to do Find
Computer to see the computer, Network neighborhood can't find
the computer, only thing shared is printer ). I can't find it from
a Win98 box ( but I haven't tried hard, it's a junk/game box ).
LinNeighborhood sees the printer.
But print jobs don't get printed.
( BTW lpc doesn't support restart anymore ).
Any ideas?

Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 05:13:41

Sorry, I forgot. I've tried both the web version of the cups
configuration tool, and printtool, both don't fix things.

>So let's see:
>lpr-0.50-7mdki586.rpm
>cups-1.1.4-3mdki586.rpm
>cups-drivers-0.3.6-30mdki586.rpm
>samba-2.0.7-18mdki586.rpm
>samba-client-18mdki586.rpm
>samba-common-18mdki586.rpm
>installed ( Mandrake 7.2 ).
>I have a printer installed on another Linux box ( Mandrake 7.1 ).
>The printer is accessible from an NT box ( but I have to do Find
>Computer to see the computer, Network neighborhood can't find
>the computer, only thing shared is printer ). I can't find it from
>a Win98 box ( but I haven't tried hard, it's a junk/game box ).
>LinNeighborhood sees the printer.
>But print jobs don't get printed.
>( BTW lpc doesn't support restart anymore ).
>Any ideas?

Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

Post by kn.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:46:52

Have you done an upgrade to lpr in the last couple months? If so you
might need to reconfigure your printer filters (on both machines) there
were some major changes in lpr recently.

Quote:> But print jobs don't get printed.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Jeffrey Ros » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:16:42

> Sorry, I forgot. I've tried both the web version of the cups
> configuration tool, and printtool, both don't fix things.

Have you checked your print daemon logs? When the print jobs don't get
printed, do you get any response from 'lprm' to possibly dequeue the
jobs?

I assume you have 'GROUP=<same_GROUP_name_as_smb_server>' in smb.conf>?

I am using RH7 at the moment, so with RH's control panel print tool, I
have almost never had a problem configuring local or smb printers. I
once even copied the 'rhs' directory printools from RH to another distro
and had successful printing via smb ... bad that seems a possible
copyright prob with RH? I have no knowledge of 'cups', sorry!

Whatever the case, if you still can't solve the problem, feel free to
email me directly and I will be more than willing to walk with you
through this in more detail ...

Cheers,

Jeff
--
pub  1024D/6AD04244 2000-12-14 Jeffrey P Rose
(ChristForge.SourceForge.net)

Key fingerprint = C1A5 958B B2F5 9C0E 0613  4825 17FE FB39 6AD0 4244
sub  2048g/41E76506 2000-12-14

1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

2. SAMBA - getting win95 to see linux shares

3. problems with samba and routing under mandrake 7.2

4. Please Explain IO Memory

5. Samba Printer Setup Problem in RedHat 7.2

6. bad partition table error during Partition Check

7. Settin up Samba on Mandrake 7.2

8. Mouse problem in X (w/ RedHat 4.1)

9. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

10. Samba Install Difficulties w/Mandrake 7.2

11. Mandrake 7.2 & Samba

12. Lexmark Z12 printer with Mandrake 7.2

13. Mandrake 7.2 and Epson STC 480sxu USP Printer