gnome setup error

Post by Jay Raja » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to install GNOME on my system and have hit a wall. Any thoughts
on the following:

Installed Gnome 1.0x (received updated files w/the RH 5.2 CD I ordered from
CheapBytes) and am unable to get it to run. I've optimized my monitor/video
card settings (using xvidtune) and have made the necessary changes in my
XF86Config file. I also changed my Xclients file so that it just has an
'exec gnome-session' line in it. When I type startx, everything starts ok,
the monitor switches into graphics mode, and then abruptly switches back
out, where i see the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /etc/X11/Xclients: Permission Denied
exec: /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients: cannot execute: Permission Denied

I've experimented a little bit, and tried using xinit and, once in x, typing
gnome-session at the command prompt in xterm (gnome terminal?). Strangely
enough, this works? Can anyone help me figure this out?

I've had no problem getting AfterStep, etc... working, but would really like
to be using gnome. Thanks a lot!

JR

1. gnome setup error

I'm trying to install GNOME on my system and have hit a wall. Any thoughts
on the following:

Installed Gnome 1.0x (received updated files w/the RH 5.2 CD I ordered from
CheapBytes) and am unable to get it to run. I've optimized my monitor/video
card settings (using xvidtune) and have made the necessary changes in my
XF86Config file. I also changed my Xclients file so that it just has an
'exec gnome-session' (also tried just  'gnome-session) line in it. When I
type startx, everything starts ok, the monitor switches into graphics mode,
and then abruptly switches back out, where i see the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /etc/X11/Xclients: Permission Denied
exec: /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients: cannot execute: Permission Denied

I've experimented a little bit, and tried using xinit and, once in x, typing
gnome-session at the command prompt in xterm (gnome terminal?). Strangely
enough, this works? Can anyone help me figure this out?

I've had no problem getting AfterStep, etc... working, but would really like
to be using gnome. Thanks a lot!

JR

2. UDP Broadcast gets ENOPERM

3. Gnome configure error, gnome-libs version not seen correctly

4. How do I learn Unix, and what exactly is it?

5. Solaris10 'Gnome Settings Daemon' error stopping gnome from loading

6. TCP/IP hangs on a three-letter word ... (Help !)

7. Linux setup error debuging/any log file for setup ?

8. Bash-1.13 patchlevel 5 available

9. error in /usr/lib/setup/setup

10. slakware setup error debuging/any log file for setup ?

11. serial setup error :Input/ouput error..... using setserial

12. setup error: crc error.

13. Gnome setup