Hell, Filesystem error!

Post by Lamar Thoma » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:24:11

Hey everyone,

I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates.  I just booted up my system and
got the following error on the way up:

***************************

Checking root filesystem
/ contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/:
i_faddr for inode 46965 (/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2) is 262144, should be
zero.
/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

*****************************

Anyone know how I can get back into my system?  Thanks for any and all help.

Lamar

Hell, Filesystem error!

Post by zeljk » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:22:38

> Hey everyone,

> I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates.  I just booted up my system
> and got the following error on the way up:

> ***************************

> Checking root filesystem
> / contains a file system with errors, check forced.
> /:
> i_faddr for inode 46965 (/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2) is 262144, should be
> zero.
> /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> (i.e., without -a or -p options)

> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):

Give root password and then run e2fsck /dev/your_hard_disc

Hell, Filesystem error!

Post by Eric P. McC » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 03:52:57

Followups to col.misc, jesus.

> I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates.  I just booted up my system and
> got the following error on the way up:
> ***************************
> Checking root filesystem
> / contains a file system with errors, check forced.

This message means that the filesystem driver has already detected
errors and probably warned you about them.

Quote:> /:
> i_faddr for inode 46965 (/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2) is 262144, should be
> zero.
> /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> (i.e., without -a or -p options)

> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):
> *****************************
> Anyone know how I can get back into my system?  Thanks for any and all help.

Hmm.  Give the root password at the prompt, then run fsck manually
(i.e., without -a or -p options) on the filesystem with errors?

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

Hell, Filesystem error!

Post by Fran » Mon, 13 May 2002 02:39:02

Hello,

 I have exactly the same problem described here, with Redhat 7.0. It
turned out that there are some bad sectors on my disk drive.

 I did install RH7.0 with KDE and was able to see it once, after a
proper shutdown (!!!), I tried to rebbot and this error appeared.

 I did run fsck on \dev\hda5 but it just helped me once!

 I discovered that there was bad sectors on the disk with a quick made
boot disk of win98, with FORMAT, FDISK, CHKDISK on it... I Fdisked and
Formated the HD with it, DOS Format marks Bad Sectors, and the disk is
serviceable (as everybody knows).

 During RH7.0 instalation I did not have the oportunity to run Disk
Druid as there was the option of - Automatic Partitioning - and at
this moment I don't know the sizes of boot, swap and root. Any how it
didn't notice the bad sectors on the disk, did not mark them, and it
turned the system inop.

 I was trying to initialize myself on LINUX but it is a bad start!
Anyhow I'm going forward.

 I am sure that there must be a way of marking Bad Blocks during
installation (???), Can someone help me???

 Any help would be appreciated
 Thanks

> Followups to col.misc, jesus.

> > I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates.  I just booted up my system and
> > got the following error on the way up:
> > ***************************
> > Checking root filesystem
> > / contains a file system with errors, check forced.

> This message means that the filesystem driver has already detected
> errors and probably warned you about them.

> > /:
> > i_faddr for inode 46965 (/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2) is 262144, should be
> > zero.
> > /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> > (i.e., without -a or -p options)

> > Give root password for maintenance
> > (or type Control-D for normal startup):
> > *****************************
> > Anyone know how I can get back into my system?  Thanks for any and all help.

> Hmm.  Give the root password at the prompt, then run fsck manually
> (i.e., without -a or -p options) on the filesystem with errors?

1. ne2000 from hell..I tell you..from hell

I can't get it to work .. as I'm sure many of you know
it is a ne2000 compatiable..of the CE distinction..wo wo
it says uses the APX turbo <read as full duplex>
I have turned off the PnP mode
it is on irq 15
           I/O 0x280
I have passed the command to the lilo boot ethet=15,0x280,eth0

that doesn't work

I have booted with loadlin .. while passing the ethere ,,bla , bla , bla <&
gas>

that doesn't work

ne2k reports

Checking the ethercard at 0x280.
Register 0x0d (0x28d) is ff
Failed initial NE2000 probe, value ff.
8390 registers: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM  0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM 0x10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
Invalid signature found, wordlength 2.

2. IPFilter, NAT and Netmeeting.

3. HELP: What the hell is "bus error"?

4. Linux in PC Week again (May 9th issue)

5. 2.2.0pre7 boot error from hell

6. /dev/sndstat

7. Help: Filesystem error: partially allocated Inode

8. Graphics mode boot up -bombed

9. restore mksysb with jfs2 filesystem to jfs filesystem

10. Filesystem errors

11. Quick: error opening filesystem

12. Cannot boot up; error in root filesystem

13. Copy whole filesystem to another filesystem over network