Phillips CD; Archive SCSI Card

Post by Dave Poos » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm a complete newbie trying to install RH5.1 onto a Compaq Prolinea 4/33.
Unfortunately, my CD-ROM is a Phillips with its own controller card. DOS
sees it okay, and will read a CD for me, but Linux complains that there's
no CD drive of that type. I've tried autosensing as well as telling it its
location (=0x340,5) with no luck.

Switching to Redneck installation language didn't make it install, but I
had more fun failing.  :^)

An alternative is using a SCSI CD-ROM (I'm a mac geek so I have a couple
of those lying around). A friend gave me an Archive (?) 8-bit ISA
controller card. Archive Corp. appears to have been bought by Conner who
were bought by Seagate-- no specs or other info. The chip on the card
says:

20940-001
NCR0380704
F841552
A9025

Does anybody know if this would work? I couldn't find any reference to it
in RedHat's FAQ.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap (obviously!), but will spend money if I
can't make one of my two freebees work.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

--
Bubba Dave Pooser
If you can't figure out my email address,

Post by Louvet » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I'm a complete newbie trying to install RH5.1 onto a Compaq Prolinea 4/33.
>Unfortunately, my CD-ROM is a Phillips with its own controller card. DOS
>sees it okay, and will read a CD for me, but Linux complains that there's
>no CD drive of that type. I've tried autosensing as well as telling it its
>location (=0x340,5) with no luck.
>Any help gratefully appreciated.

Don't you have to mount the CD in order to use it.  I do this each
time I log on, for I am new and haven't yet got to having the
programme do it automatically.  You gotta do this in root.

root:  mount /dev/hd? /cdrom

it works best for me if there is a CD in the Rom drive.  The question
mark is there for you will have to discover whether your cdrom is b,
c, d, such as hdb, hdc, hdd,.....

you don't have to mount it to /cdrom, you can give it any name you
want, but I suggest you use the features provided by the install
programme, until you feel more at ease.

I have two CDRoms on my dinky little Pentium 75, and I mount the first
to /cdrom and the second to /cdrom2

root:  mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
root:  mount /dev/hdc /cdrom2

They work fine for the session after that.

I turn off my machine after I have finished using it, so I have to
mount them, for now, each time I log on.

Post by Dave Poos » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> >I'm a complete newbie trying to install RH5.1 onto a Compaq Prolinea 4/33.
> >Unfortunately, my CD-ROM is a Phillips with its own controller card. DOS
> >sees it okay, and will read a CD for me, but Linux complains that there's
> >no CD drive of that type. I've tried autosensing as well as telling it its
> >location (=0x340,5) with no luck.

> >Any help gratefully appreciated.

> Don't you have to mount the CD in order to use it.  I do this each
> time I log on, for I am new and haven't yet got to having the
> programme do it automatically.  You gotta do this in root.

> root:  mount /dev/hd? /cdrom

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I can't get the Linux
*installer* to recognize the CD-Rom. Since I'm trying to install off of
CD... well, you get the idea.

--
Bubba Dave Pooser
If you can't figure out my email address,
I don't care what you have to say.

Phillips CD; Archive SCSI Card

Post by Dave Poos » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> >I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I can't get the Linux
> >*installer* to recognize the CD-Rom. Since I'm trying to install off of
> >CD... well, you get the idea.

> Need more info try to copy down the error messages and post them.
> also what type of scsi card you are using.

I'm not currently using a scsi card; I'm using a Phillips CM260 CD with a
Phillips CM206 controller. The install asks me to select a driver; I
select the Phillips CM206/CM260. It asks if it should autoprobe. If I let
it probe, "I can't find that device anywhere on your system." If I select
the manual setup I fill in CM206=0x340,5 (port 340, IRQ5, set by jumpers
on the ISA card) and... nothing. Same "can't find device" error message.
But DOS reads the CD, so it doesn't seem like a hardware problem. I'm
baffled!

--

Post by Fhurqaan Ham » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I can't get the Linux
>*installer* to recognize the CD-Rom. Since I'm trying to install off of
>CD... well, you get the idea.

Need more info try to copy down the error messages and post them.
also what type of scsi card you are using.
--

ASCII silly question, get a stupid ANSI.

Phillips CD; Archive SCSI Card

Post by M. Buchenried » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>I'm not currently using a scsi card; I'm using a Phillips CM260 CD with a
>Phillips CM206 controller. The install asks me to select a driver; I
>select the Phillips CM206/CM260. It asks if it should autoprobe. If I let
>it probe, "I can't find that device anywhere on your system." If I select
>the manual setup I fill in CM206=0x340,5

[...]

Try

cm206=0x340,5

since this is case-sensitive.

If it still doesn't work, try booting DOS first and the booting into
the Linux setup with a warm reboot.

Michael

   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

Post by Dave Poos » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> [...]

> >I'm not currently using a scsi card; I'm using a Phillips CM260 CD with a
> >Phillips CM206 controller. The install asks me to select a driver; I
> >select the Phillips CM206/CM260. It asks if it should autoprobe. If I let
> >it probe, "I can't find that device anywhere on your system." If I select
> >the manual setup I fill in CM206=0x340,5

> [...]

> Try

> cm206=0x340,5

> since this is case-sensitive.

> If it still doesn't work, try booting DOS first and the booting into
> the Linux setup with a warm reboot.

No luck with the warm reboot either-- any other suggestions?

--
Bubba Dave Pooser
If you can't figure out my email address,
I don't care what you have to say.

1. Linux CD distribution for Phillips CM206 cd rom

Is there a Linux CD rom distribution available that will allow a boot from a
Phillips CM206 CD ROM? I have seen a couple of patches out there to boot my
Slackware distribution but haven't had any luck with them. If a CD Linux set
exists that will let me boot from my Phillips CM206 please let me know. Please

Thanks in advance

2. Mac-On-Linux

3. Q: Where is my CD-Rom/CD-R (2 SCSI cards)

4. vxvol errors

5. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

6. scrolling help request

7. SCSI: MediaVision portable 2x CD-Rom w/SCSI card

8. Ethernet's Hardware Problem.Help!

9. Archive VP150 Tape - non scsi (402 card)

10. Archive sc402 SCSI card supported?

11. Archive Python woes with NCR 810 scsi card.

12. SIDE SCSI card, and Archive 60mg.

13. Phillips cd-rom, will work??