XFree not quite right, off a few pixels

Post by Snowboard Fre » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

I have successfully installed Xfree86 3.1.2 (reading the HOW-TO twice,
then doing it really helped!), but...

Everything is working ok, except that the screen seems to be shifted
to the LEFT a few pixels.

This causes my mouse pointer to be off just an 1/8th of an inch: I
have to click a little to the right of every target to get it to work.

What could be the problem?

I notice that when I put a window along the LEFT edge, a thin stripe
shows up on the RIGHT edge: indicating it's WRAPPING around and indeed
is shifted a bit.

I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM configured according to every
FAQ I could find and an NEC 3FGx (limited documentation in the FAQs,
and I lost the manual).

Any ideas of what to try next?
Thanks
Donn

Donn C. Lee                      |"If you think a weakness can

http://www.primenet.com/~donnlee | I hate to tell you this, but

Post by Simon Hargrav » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>I have successfully installed Xfree86 3.1.2 (reading the HOW-TO twice,
>then doing it really helped!), but...

>Everything is working ok, except that the screen seems to be shifted
>to the LEFT a few pixels.

>This causes my mouse pointer to be off just an 1/8th of an inch: I
>have to click a little to the right of every target to get it to work.

>What could be the problem?

>I notice that when I put a window along the LEFT edge, a thin stripe
>shows up on the RIGHT edge: indicating it's WRAPPING around and indeed
>is shifted a bit.

>I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM configured according to every
>FAQ I could find and an NEC 3FGx (limited documentation in the FAQs,
>and I lost the manual).

>Any ideas of what to try next?
>Thanks
>Donn

>Donn C. Lee                      |"If you think a weakness can

>http://www.primenet.com/~donnlee | I hate to tell you this, but
>                                 | that's another weakness."

Hi Donn!
        This is a common problem with the S3 driver.  I've got a Stealth
64 Video VRAM also, and I have the same problem.  I think (although I'm
not sure) that people are working on fixing this problem.  For now
though, you can try and fix it using xvidtune.  On mine, the 'EarlySC'
option seems to do the trick, but I haven't figured out how to do this
permanently yet.

Good luck!
--
Simon Hargrave

Post by Bill Lavend » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

>>I have successfully installed Xfree86 3.1.2 (reading the HOW-TO twice,
>>then doing it really helped!), but...

>>Everything is working ok, except that the screen seems to be shifted
>>to the LEFT a few pixels.

>>This causes my mouse pointer to be off just an 1/8th of an inch: I
>>have to click a little to the right of every target to get it to work.

>>What could be the problem?

>>I notice that when I put a window along the LEFT edge, a thin stripe
>>shows up on the RIGHT edge: indicating it's WRAPPING around and indeed
>>is shifted a bit.

>>I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM configured according to every
>>FAQ I could find and an NEC 3FGx (limited documentation in the FAQs,
>>and I lost the manual).

>Hi Donn!
>        This is a common problem with the S3 driver.  I've got a Stealth
>64 Video VRAM also, and I have the same problem.  I think (although I'm
>not sure) that people are working on fixing this problem.  For now
>though, you can try and fix it using xvidtune.  On mine, the 'EarlySC'
>option seems to do the trick, but I haven't figured out how to do this
>permanently yet.

I ran into this problem too.  In my case I fixed it using Invert_VCLK
which I saw mentioned in a Usenet posting a while back.  The version of
xvidtune that I have actually has a button for it, but misspells it
as InvertVCLK.  I don't recall trying EarlySC.  In any case, I've
included the last 25 lines or so of my XF86Config file so you can
see where it goes.  Hope this helps.

Bill Lavender

========== XF86Config excerpt starts here ==========
# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32, Mach64)

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM"
    Monitor     "Micron 15FGx Digital"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "1280x1024"
        Invert_VCLK "*" 1
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1280 1024
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Post by Donn L » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi Donn!
> >        This is a common problem with the S3 driver.  I've got a Stealth
> >64 Video VRAM also, and I have the same problem.  I think (although I'm
> >not sure) that people are working on fixing this problem.  For now
> >though, you can try and fix it using xvidtune.  On mine, the 'EarlySC'
> >option seems to do the trick, but I haven't figured out how to do this
> >permanently yet.

> I ran into this problem too.  In my case I fixed it using Invert_VCLK
> which I saw mentioned in a Usenet posting a while back.  The version of
> xvidtune that I have actually has a button for it, but misspells it
> as InvertVCLK.  I don't recall trying EarlySC.  In any case, I've
> included the last 25 lines or so of my XF86Config file so you can
> see where it goes.  Hope this helps.

> Bill Lavender

I have found the fix and it is *EASY*!

Add to the "Device" section:

Option "Diamond"

That's it!

XFree not quite right, off a few pixels

Post by Eric Bur » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have successfully installed Xfree86 3.1.2 (reading the HOW-TO twice,
>then doing it really helped!), but...

>Everything is working ok, except that the screen seems to be shifted
>to the LEFT a few pixels.

>This causes my mouse pointer to be off just an 1/8th of an inch: I
>have to click a little to the right of every target to get it to work.

>What could be the problem?

>I notice that when I put a window along the LEFT edge, a thin stripe
>shows up on the RIGHT edge: indicating it's WRAPPING around and indeed
>is shifted a bit.

>I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM configured according to every
>FAQ I could find and an NEC 3FGx (limited documentation in the FAQs,
>and I lost the manual).

Yeah... read the XF86 faq.  There's a whole section in there about how to get
a Stealth 64 Video VRAM to work properly.  I have one, and it really does work
fine with that configuration.  I believe (although I haven't messed with XF86
in a while) that all you have to do is put an Option "Diamond" line in each
color depth entry of your server section.

Hope it helps.

Eric

1. flickering screen (right last few pixels)

i am running x with the following modeline

ModeLine "1024x768" 85 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823

whenever there is a lof of graphics update necessary (using scrollbars ..)
the last few pixels on every line (at right) start to flicker.

what to do about it? is it 'dangorous' or just annoying?
--
Dr. Ivo Kamber
Paul Scherrer Institute

 phone: ++41 56 310 4092 / 2051
   fax: ++41 56 310 4413 / 2199

2. DPT 3334UW Slow Performance/Filesystem probs (RAID-5)

3. MetroX pointer off by a few pixels

4. Using MD5 to generate a one-time password ?

5. mail not quite working right

6. Help: Need info on how get mail last read.

7. My Lovely Openwin... not quite right.

8. Adaptec 2742 bootdisk: kernel panic

9. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)

10. Help! shared libraries not working quite right.

11. source rpm's not quite right

12. 2.5.29: fbcon palette not quite right

13. NetBSD 1.4.1 setup on hp300 not quite right