Uninstalling Mandrake

Post by Ed Sinclai » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:50:39

Good morning,

I shared my hard disk between Windows95 and Linux Mandrake 7.2. Now I
must uninstall
Mandrake to give all the capacity of my hard disk to Win95. But Mandrake
give no
indication for a good method in its documentation. I tried to erase the
Linux partition
with FDISK (on Linux) but unfortunately GRUB (which is installed on the
sector boot)
continues to work (I tried to uninstall GRUB, unsucessfully). Moreover,
FDISK (the DOS-
program) is unable to fix the problem: it doesn't even see there is
another OS on the
hard disk (obviously).
I'm looking a good method to erase Linux Mandrake (and GRUB, too) for
using Windows95
on all the disk. Could someone give me some useful information about
this problem? I
must precise I cannot install Windows95 again (lost the boot floppy) and
besides I'm not
sure that the Windows95 installation software contained on my CD-ROM
could seriously
fix the problem.

Thank you for your help

Ed

Uninstalling Mandrake

Post by Davi » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:22:15

> Good morning,

> I shared my hard disk between Windows95 and Linux Mandrake 7.2. Now I
> must uninstall
> Mandrake to give all the capacity of my hard disk to Win95. But Mandrake
> give no
> indication for a good method in its documentation. I tried to erase the
> Linux partition
> with FDISK (on Linux) but unfortunately GRUB (which is installed on the
> sector boot)
> continues to work (I tried to uninstall GRUB, unsucessfully). Moreover,
> FDISK (the DOS-
> program) is unable to fix the problem: it doesn't even see there is
> another OS on the
> hard disk (obviously).
> I'm looking a good method to erase Linux Mandrake (and GRUB, too) for
> using Windows95
> on all the disk. Could someone give me some useful information about
> this problem? I
> must precise I cannot install Windows95 again (lost the boot floppy) and
> besides I'm not
> sure that the Windows95 installation software contained on my CD-ROM
> could seriously
> fix the problem.

> Thank you for your help

> Ed

from a running linux system:

To uninstall from a running linux system do the following.
boot into linux.
login as root
/sbin/lilo -u
fdisk /dev/hda    # or sda depending on your hard drive.
delete all linux partitions
quit and save changes
reboot with a DOS/windoz boot disk.
enter:  fdisk /MBR

You will need to format the partition or drive back to a DOS/windows format.

Or if you can't boot the linux system:

Use the installation boot disk to boot the system and follow through the
install up to the partitioning section. Delete all linux partitions and
then choose the "Back" button and save the changes when asked.

Then reboot the system with a windows boot disk and do a:
fdisk /MBR

You will have to format the disk/partition back to the DOS format.

Hope this helps.
ID # 123538

1. Uninstall Mandrake Linux

My computer installed Windows 98 and Mandrake Linux 7.0 on the same
physical hard drive. Now I want to uninstall Linux and let windows use
the partition again. I deleted Linux partition by fdisk in Mandrake. Now
fdisk in DOS can see this partition, but cannot format it back into DOS
format so that windows can label it as "D:\" or whatever. How can I do
it? Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks,

Dongbo

2. usb question..

3. Uninstalled Mandrake...boot screen still there

4. Traceroute to localhost timing out

5. Uninstalling Mandrake 8.1

6. PNP Modem or UART Problem

7. uninstall mandrake linux 8.2

8. SLIP for Solaris x86

9. uninstalling mandrake 8.0

10. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

11. Uninstalling Linux-Mandrake for Windows

12. Mandrake 9.0 Package install/uninstall from the internet