PS/2 gpm /dev/mouse :No such device

Post by <76455.1.. » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

Last night I got PS/2 mouse working with XF86 I pulled up multiple windows
and multiple items within each window, but when I boot my system this
morning I get the following error before the login prompt:

gpm: /dev/mouse :No such device

startx fails with the following error:

Fatal server error: cannot open mouse (No such device)
xinit: No such file or directory (error no2): unexpected signal 13

I am running Slackware 1.2.1

Thanks in advance
Terrence

PS/2 gpm /dev/mouse :No such device

Post by <76455.1.. » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

Last night I got PS/2 mouse working with XF86 I pulled up multiple windows
and multiple items within each window, but when I boot my system this
morning I get the following error before the login prompt:

gpm: /dev/mouse :No such device

startx fails with the following error:

Fatal server error: cannot open mouse (No such device)
xinit: No such file or directory (error no2): unexpected signal 13

I am running Slackware 1.2.1

Thanks in advance
Terrence

1. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

I am attempting to get my 3-button, M$ protocol mouse to work properly
under X. I tried getting the mouse to switch to MouseSystems protocol
by the methods described in the HOWTO to no success (no jumpers
inside, and it ignores left button held on power-up). So, reading
further, I set up gpm as a "repeater" with

gpm -3 -R -t ms

And then modified XF86Config to use /dev/gpmdata with the 3-button
MouseSystems protocol. This works, except I cannot drag the middle
button (button 2.) If I attempt to to this, GPM will send one button-2
click, then a bunch of move messages, then another click when i
release button-2, through gpmdata.

How can I solve this? I could use either:

- A patch to GPM to send the right data
- A patch to X to use the 3-button extension to the MS protocol, like
  GPM does in console mode.

The latter would be preferred. I can't figure out why the feature
hasn't been incorporated into X yet. I'm using:

gpm 1.13
XFree86 3.3.1

--
please read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
"cry me a bayou/and i'm leaving..." -tricky

2. mail problem in a firewall.

3. gpm: /dev/mouse No such device

4. Compiling UAE gives signal 11.

5. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

6. getty and terminals

7. help w/ /dev/mouse (/dev/psaux) in X and "cannot find gpm"

8. Need source for NSCA httpd_1.3

9. Help with PS/2 mouse and gpm please

10. gpm and PS/2 mouse

11. GPM with PS/2 Type Mouse and X

12. Q: gpm and X PS/2 Mouse conflict.

13. MouseSystems PS/2 Optical Mouse gpm problem