Goldstar CD-ROM Drive 8X under Linux. Need advice.

Goldstar CD-ROM Drive 8X under Linux. Need advice.

Post by GUILL » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I'm considering buying a Goldstar CD-ROM Drive 8X because the box says
it's Linux compatible. I just bought Slackware 96 and I'd like to get
feedback/comments/suggestions from those of you who use this particular
CD-ROM under Linux.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys!

Guillermo.

Post by Kwanghee Le » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I'm considering buying a Goldstar CD-ROM Drive 8X because the box says
> it's Linux compatible. I just bought Slackware 96 and I'd like to get
> feedback/comments/suggestions from those of you who use this particular
> CD-ROM under Linux.

> Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys!

> Guillermo.

Yes, It will works well with Linux. Try it!!

Post by Karl-Koenig Koenigsso » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > I'm considering buying a Goldstar CD-ROM Drive 8X because the box says
> > it's Linux compatible. I just bought Slackware 96 and I'd like to get
> > feedback/comments/suggestions from those of you who use this particular
> > CD-ROM under Linux.

> > Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys!

> > Guillermo.

> Yes, It will works well with Linux. Try it!!

I have a GoldStar CD-ROM for my system, and I had to add the line

        append="hdb=cdrom"

to my /etc/lilo.conf file in order to get the kernel to be able to
access it. Once I realised that I should do that it works like a charm.
It should be noted here that the drive I have is about a year old and
not an 8-speed, but I thought that the problem might still be there and
worth to be mentioned.

Cheers

        Koenig

1. IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

Hello Linusers!

I have the following problem with my Goldstar 8x CD-ROM (GCD-R580B). I can
mount CD with no problems but when I read pretty long file (about 2 MB or
longer) it hangs for several (about 10) seconds and throws message:

hdd: irq timeout: status=0x58
hdd: ATAPI reset complete

Then it reads another part of data and hangs again, and so on to the end of
file. It happens when I access file with something that requires some CPU
work - for example:

"tar ztf linux-2.0.30.tar.gz" hangs,
"cp linux-2.0.30.tar.gz /usr/src" hangs, but
"cat linux-2.0.30.tar.gz > /dev/null" doesn't!

It looks like hanging entire IDE channel because hard disk connected to the
same channel also hangs. Disks on the other channel and the rest of the
system works fine. I looked for those messages in kernel sources (2.0.30)
and found them in drivers/block/ide.c.

The problem doesn't appear in DOS, FreeBSD and (!) Linux 1.2.13. It appears
in Linux 2.0.0 and 2.0.30. It seems that some clever code has been
introduced into IDE driver (ide.c or ide-cd.c) somewhere between 1.2.13 and
2.0.0 that is not compatible with my CD-ROM (I believe it's problem with my
hardware because my friends haven't such problems with their Philips 8x and
Toshiba 12x).

The help I need:
1. Explanation of the problem - what's going on, where's the fault?
2. Solution - how can I work around this (ideal would be kernel patch)?
   Maybe it's possible to incorporate old IDE (ATAPI) driver from kernel
   1.2.13 into recent kernels? I can accept loss of several percent
   performance on my disks - just to bring CD-ROM to work right.

Any help, ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Regards!

--
Tomasz M. Tatar

http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~tatar/tatar.html

2. Support for DEC 21040 PCI Ethernet?

3. Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

4. lpr/lpd question?

5. Goldstar 8X CD ROM

6. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

7. Need Advice for a CD-ROM Drive.

8. PPP Dialers file

9. Plaxtor 8x CD-ROM drive ???

10. problems with Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-ROM drive

11. Sony CDU311 8x IDE CD-ROM Drive

12. REVEAL CD-ROM Drive (Actually a Goldstar) - Help

13. Golstar - R580B CD-ROM drive 8x