Diamond FAQ

Post by Fell Swo » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 11:20:31

I am, unfortunately, stuck with a Stealth 24, and I'm looking for the Diamond
FAQ mentioned in the XFree86 HOWTO, but it doesn't seem to be where it's
supposed to be.  Anybody know where to find this?  Also, any help from folks
who have set up X on their evil Diamond product would be appreciated.

Never coming, really (sob!): The World Wide Web Jack Chick Archive!

Although they'll just be wasted because it's never really coming...
Hi, Canter & Siegel !

Diamond FAQ

Post by Jonathan Willia » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 13:12:15

: No need to feel bad here.  I have been using Stl24 with XF86 2.1, 2.1.1 and 3.1.
: The setup has always been straight forward; converting XF86Config.eg in 3.1
: to one that works with my Stl24 and Idek 8617 took only about 10 minutes
: (and I get 1024x768, 1024x900 and 640x480).  Let me know your version of
: XF86, and see if I can help; hopefully it's 3.1 (I didn't even bother backing
: up the XConfig file in 2.1.1, and subsequently lost in a recent hard drive
: crash).

I've got the Stl24, and I ran through all the hoops (xconfig.some.long.name),
manually tweeked the XF86Config file, and I can still only get 8 bit, and only
up to 800x600.  My monitor (a 14" piece made my Wen) supports up to 1024x768,
and under Dos, I was able to go up to 24 bit in 640x480.

Is it possible to go to the higher bits under X with this card?  If so, could
someone give me a hint as to how to do it?

Thanks,

Jon Williams

http://www.uni.edu/willia00
--
"Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas."
           --my favorite palindrome

Diamond FAQ

Post by Jim S » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 07:08:14

>I am, unfortunately, stuck with a Stealth 24, and I'm looking for the Diamond
>FAQ mentioned in the XFree86 HOWTO, but it doesn't seem to be where it's
>supposed to be.  Anybody know where to find this?  Also, any help from folks
>who have set up X on their evil Diamond product would be appreciated.

No need to feel bad here.  I have been using Stl24 with XF86 2.1, 2.1.1 and 3.1.
The setup has always been straight forward; converting XF86Config.eg in 3.1
to one that works with my Stl24 and Idek 8617 took only about 10 minutes
(and I get 1024x768, 1024x900 and 640x480).  Let me know your version of
XF86, and see if I can help; hopefully it's 3.1 (I didn't even bother backing
up the XConfig file in 2.1.1, and subsequently lost in a recent hard drive
crash).

Jim

Diamond FAQ

Post by Jim S » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 00:04:17

Quote:>I've got the Stl24, and I ran through all the hoops (xconfig.some.long.name),
>manually tweeked the XF86Config file, and I can still only get 8 bit, and only
>up to 800x600.  My monitor (a 14" piece made my Wen) supports up to 1024x768,
>and under Dos, I was able to go up to 24 bit in 640x480.
>Is it possible to go to the higher bits under X with this card?  If so, could
>someone give me a hint as to how to do it?

I'm pretty sure that 640x480x24 is impossible in XF86 3.1 because one meg
video ram is not enough for the configuration without packed-24.  I never tried
16bit color with the Stl24 because I have always been more interested in
higher resolution, which is quite attainable.  I have it setup for

mismatch with your monitor.  Which monitor did you pick in your Windows driver?
you can lookup the synch info in modeDB.txt.

Jim

Diamond FAQ

Post by Jeremy Chatfie » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 08:31:51

>>I've got the Stl24, and I ran through all the hoops (xconfig.some.long.name),
>>manually tweeked the XF86Config file, and I can still only get 8 bit, and only
>>up to 800x600.  My monitor (a 14" piece made my Wen) supports up to 1024x768,
>>and under Dos, I was able to go up to 24 bit in 640x480.

>>Is it possible to go to the higher bits under X with this card?  If so, could
>>someone give me a hint as to how to do it?

>I'm pretty sure that 640x480x24 is impossible in XF86 3.1 because one meg
>video ram is not enough for the configuration without packed-24.  I never tried
>16bit color with the Stl24 because I have always been more interested in
>higher resolution, which is quite attainable.  I have it setup for

>mismatch with your monitor.  Which monitor did you pick in your Windows driver?
>you can lookup the synch info in modeDB.txt.

The Diamond Stealth 24 is capable of (standard resolutions):

        1280x1024x4bpp,
        1024x768x8bpp,
        800x600 in 15bpp and 16bpp
        640x480x24bpp.

Yes, you need packed mode support (he said, smugly, knowing that
this was supported Real Soon Now in his own product).  Of course, you
need some idea of what the monitor can do, horizontally and
vertically.  Some monitors, nominally multifrequency, are extremely
picky about the frequencies that they will accept.  We have one

fed with a 63.66KHz horizontal frequency, instead of the 64KHz that
it specifies.  Much to his annoyance a much cheaper monitor happily
locks to this frequency with no trouble, on the same system!  You may
simply need to spend more time with your pixel clocks... or you could
try our product and give up pixel clocks forever :-)

Cheers, JeremyC.
--

        X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.
   Commercial X Server - for more information please try these services

Diamond FAQ

Post by Travis Cob » Sat, 07 Jan 1995 15:02:33

>>I've got the Stl24, and I ran through all the hoops (xconfig.some.long.name),
>>manually tweeked the XF86Config file, and I can still only get 8 bit, and only
>>up to 800x600.  My monitor (a 14" piece made my Wen) supports up to 1024x768,
>>and under Dos, I was able to go up to 24 bit in 640x480.

>>Is it possible to go to the higher bits under X with this card?  If so, could
>>someone give me a hint as to how to do it?

>I'm pretty sure that 640x480x24 is impossible in XF86 3.1 because one meg
>video ram is not enough for the configuration without packed-24.  I never tried
>16bit color with the Stl24 because I have always been more interested in
>higher resolution, which is quite attainable.  I have it setup for

>mismatch with your monitor.  Which monitor did you pick in your Windows driver?
>you can lookup the synch info in modeDB.txt.

I found the following in /var/X11R6/lib/doc/README.S3:
        S3 805, Diamond SS2410 RAMDAC, ICD2061A Clockchip
                Diamond Stealth 24 VLB

                        8 bpp only
                        requires Option "nolinear"

16 and 24 bpp modes are apparently not supported on the Diamond Stealth 24.
On the other hand, you should be able to get higher resolutions in 8 bpp mode.
Even if you can't get the mode timings to work, you can still set the virtual
screen size to something like 1024x900.  It should work; it does on mine.

--CSL System Administrator                                     (805)547-1464
--California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo     (805)756-7180

1. Diamond SpeedSTAR24 or Diamond FAQ

Hi:

        Does any know where I might find the FAQ on the Diamond video products
I am stuck with the board and I still want to use Linux.
|  Greg Tomalesky               | Logic is the begining of wisdom, Lieutenant |
|  yrkpa.kias.com               | Not the end.                                |
|                               |                     Spock to Valeris        |

2. Getting Out of Memory errors at random intervals.

3. Diamond-FAQ? Where??

4. cannot add route to local host through loopback

5. Diamond.FAQ

6. EXT2-fs panic (consistent) in 2.0.0, not 1.2.13

7. Linux and New Media Toast'n'Jam?

8. The DIAMOND FAQ is nowhere to be found...HELP!

9. Diamond FAQ?

10. Diamond FAQ

11. Diamond.FAQ

12. Diamond FAQ didn't help with Stealth 32