Linux, SCSI CD-ROM, and Future Domain tmc-850 problems

Linux, SCSI CD-ROM, and Future Domain tmc-850 problems

Post by Brian Locasc » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

  I am new to LInux, but I have been doing quite a bit of research before
trying to install Linux.  I seem to be having a problem getting my SCSI
Chinon CD-ROM and Future Domain TMC-850MER SCSI COntroller recognized by
Linux.  The TMC-850 is supported by Linux, but Linux won't find it using
autoprobe unless the controller has a BIOS on-board, which mine does
not.

Well, following the SCSI_howto and CDROM_HOWTO, I issued a "ramdisk
tmc850=0xca00h,5" command at the boot prompt before loading the root
floppy.  Then, after loading the root floppy, the information on the
screen flies by so quickly that I can't see what Linux says regarding the
SCSI devices.  Sometimes I can catch a glimpse and I think it says
SCSI=0.  This makes sense because when I continue with the setup for the
Slackware installation on CD by InfoMagic and select the source of the
software as CD-ROM, the setup utility cannot find the CD-ROM!

I have a funny feeling that the trouble I am experienceing is not that
difficult to remedy, I just have the experience with Linux to solve the
problem myself.  So please, I would greatly appreciate any help on this
matter!!!

Thanks a bunch,

Brian Locascio