PPP connects, pap connects, then nothing

PPP connects, pap connects, then nothing

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Ok,  I am using EzPPP, the modem dials, connects, and then it does PAP
>authentication and stays connected. But I can't use telnet, or Netscape,
>or even ping !

>What am I missing ?

I've never used EzPPP, but in order to reference anything but a raw IP
addresse you have to have a nameserver defined.  Generally that means
that you need to place the IP address (four numbers separated by dots)
somewhere in the configuration.

To add it manually, put the following line in your /etc/resolv.conf
file:

   nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx

where the "xx.xx.xx.xx" is replaced with a valid IP address.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

1. Connects, establishes a PPP Session, and then ........ nothing.

Hi,

I've made progress in setting up a dial-up to the internet, but now
I'm stuck and can't find the answer in the howto's, archives, etc.

Using minicom, after login, I get the following:

 Entering PPP Session.
 IP Address is 207.172.xx.xx
 MTU is 1006.

So far so good, right?  But I'm not able to do anything from that
point.  Can't ping servers, Netscape says   "... unable to locate the
server."

If I press enter, I get a line of garbage ( ~y} #.!}!}!} }8! etc. etc.
etc.)   If I understand the HOWTO (Sect. 9.5), this indicates a
successful PPP connection.  But I don't know what to do next.

After a minute or so, it times out and says No Carrier.

Am I overlooking something really simple?

Can anybody help?

Tom

2. Apache JServ on Solaris 8 OS

3. Free OS5.04 PPP Connect:Nothing Else

4. atyfb and kernel 2.6-test11 problem

5. PPP connects, but then nothing...

6. How to Get OS name Solaris ?

7. PPP connects, then nothing in 1.3.6

8. HOT STUFF!

9. PPP PAP connect fails after giving IP addresses

10. Use minicom to connect PPP with PAP?

11. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

12. PPP,PAP,IPCP: Can't connect!!

13. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization